Chapter 7

"Are you interested in my brother?"

The straightforward and out of nowhere question forced Kaneki to steel himself from jerking the steering wheel to the side. A good thing, too, as they were just passing a large 18 wheeler.

"I- what?" Kaneki stuttered out, managing to safely park in the lot in front of the cafe. He turned his head towards the pixie girl in the passenger seat, and she raised an eyebrow at him, smiling. She unbuckled her seatbelt and opened the door.

"I didn't stutter," she said.

Kaneki stared after the strange girl before getting out of the car to walk her into the building.

"So...are you?" Alice asked again. "These are important questions here, Kaneki!"

"I don't see how-"

"Is he what?" Touka came downstairs, pausing as she took in the sight of Alice. Before Kaneki could speak, Alice went over to Touka, much like she did with Kaneki, just not as cautious he noticed.

"I'm Alice Cullen. It's nice to finally meet you," she said. "Touka, right?"

"Yeah," Touka said, sending a look over Alice's shoulder at Kaneki. "Nice to meet you too. I hope he hasn't been too much trouble."

"Excuse me?!"

The two girls ignored him.

"Oh no, he's been great. I hope to actually have him around more, especially if my assumptions are correct..." she trailed off as she looked at Kaneki, wiggling her eyebrows and smirking. Kaneki flushed.

"Assumptions?" Touka questioned as she put her purse on the counter. She had her own smirk forming on her face, making Kaneki remember the conversation that morning two days ago.

"It's nothing," Kaneki huffed at the same time Alice said, "He likes my brother."

"Alice!"

"Am I wrong?"

"You mean that Emmett guy you've been talking about recently?" Touka inquired, her voice holding that false innocence, but her smirk said otherwise. "That's what I thought too."

That had Alice rounding on Kaneki fully. "So you've been talking about him."

"Not like that! I just-"

Kaneki huffed again, somewhat annoyed. It wasn't a god damned crush! It-Well, he didn't know what it was exactly. He barely knew this man. But he guessed that the way he'd been acting recently would give someone that thought. Emmett did intrigue him, he supposed.

"Anyways!" He said, in a strong attempt to change the subject. "Alice wanted to tag along to Port Angeles with you guys."

"I hope I'm not intruding," Alice said quickly, seeming to drop the previous subject to Kaneki's relief. "I can usually only get my sister to go out shopping with me, and even she has her limits." She chuckled.

"No, it's fine," Touka replied. "More the merrier."

"I'm sure Hinami would love to have someone that will be going to school with her. Where is she anyway?"

"In the back," Touka answered and glanced at Alice. "You're still in high school?"

Kaneki slipped away into the back room while the two girls talked. Hinami had just exited the walk-in fridge when Kaneki entered. Grabbing a paper towel from a nearby shelf, Kaneki started to wipe Hinami's still lightly stained mouth.

"Messy as usual," Kaneki chuckled. Hinami reached up and hit the back of his neck with a laugh.

"Thanks," she said before walking over to the sink to wash her hands.