Chapter 9

Last with FSOM:

He reached a hand out for the seat belt, taking his eyes of Emmett's still form to buckle himself in. Once he was done, gray met gold again, looking at him expectantly.

"So, where are we heading?"

-----------------------------------------------

Kaneki, once they were on the road, looked over at Emmett, waiting for the response to his previous question. The windows to the Jeep were down, the warm air rushing past and into the vehicle whipping his already messy hair around his face a bit. He didn't mind it too much.

The larger man drummed his fingers on the steering wheel. "Well, we could head out to Port Angeles Or Seattle? Get something to eat; have you eaten anything today?"

Kaneki watched as Emmett gave him a sort of once-over before smiling when he caught his eyes. Kaneki looked away, not sure if that eating comment was a jab at his weight. He wasn't underweight or anything. Besides, anyone would feel small compared to Emmett.

"I ate a bit ago," he said. More like a few weeks ago. But Emmett didn't need to know that. The pointed look he received told him that he hadn't been convincing enough, but Kaneki refused to back down and change his statement.

He knew he wasn't the best liar. Hide had told him that many times growing up; he had even made a funny side comment about it when the blonde revealed that he'd known Kaneki was a ghoul for a long time. However, Hide had just been more observant and perspective than the average person.

Kaneki glanced at the clock on the dashboard. "Seattle is pretty far," he mentioned. "It'll be late by the time we get there."

Emmett hummed. "True. Unless you want to go club-hopping." He smirked at Kaneki.

The white-haired man scoffed. "Definitely not."

Night clubs and parties were never something he'd enjoyed, even when he was just a regular, human college student.

"Port Angeles it is then. And since you've already eaten"-- insert a side-eyed glance here--"What do you like to do? I'm sure there's something we can find."

Kaneki thought for a moment and then cringed mentally when the only thing that popped into his head was reading. He felt a tad bit self-conscious, which was odd since he'd never cared before whether people found him boring or not in the past. The only bad experiences he'd ever had with it were the grade school bullies when he was a child. His anti-social behaviors combined with the school system were not a good mix.

And then there was Rize, who had had a similar interest in literature. And as much as Kaneki hated to admit it, they had gotten along very well and had a lot in common--before the horror of a woman ruined his entire existence, of course.

The thoughts left a bitter taste in his mouth. Because of those similarities, sometimes the line between Rize and Kaneki started to blur at times, even with those apparent differences in demeanor. And those times had occurred so often in the beginning that even Kaneki had a hard time finding his own thoughts and personality within.

A feminine chuckle sounded in the back of his mind, and in an instant, he had the heel of his hand pressed against his temple as the noise traveled quickly to his right. Kaneki's name was called tauntingly, and it was as if she was right beside him. Not now...

Just as Rize's presence pushed her way through, a hesitant hand on his shoulder brought him back. Kaneki sucked in the air sharply, his hand reaching in up with swiftness. The much larger hand that he latched onto was cold like it had been sitting in a freezer box for hours on end, a noticeable contrast to Kaneki's warmth. He glanced over.