Chapter 8

In the back lawn again, Emmett could be found there, scrolling through his phone. It was late afternoon and warm, as warm as a cloudy day in Washington could get anyways. His phone pinged and vibrated in his grip, signaling an incoming notification.

It was a text from Kaneki. At first, Emmett was excited. Perhaps Kaneki was confirming a date he was free. However, the toothy grin fell from Emmett's face when their message thread came up on the screen.

Kaneki (4:02 p.m.)

Hey

Sorry, I should have texted you earlier, but I got caught up with Hinami.

Emmett snickered but continued reading.

Kaneki (4:02 p.m.)

I can hang out and stuff

just...not as a date. I would prefer it just being as friends?

If you're okay with that.

Emmett blinked as he sat up from his lying-down position. What had changed? Had Emmett come on too strong? Kaneki had seemed really reluctant to agree to the date at first; that was clear. So was it cold feet, maybe?

He got to his feet and walked into the house, not even taking his eyes off his phone as he went upstairs to the old guest bedroom that had become his to grab the keys to his Jeep. He was walking by Carlisle's office when Carlisle's voice called him in.

Emmett poked his head in. Carlisle was seated behind his desk. "Yeah?"

Carlisle glanced up at him from his paperwork, about to say something, but paused, double-taking. Emmett reached up to touch his jaw, wondering what kind of expression Carlisle was seeing there. It seemed neutral to him.

"Everything okay?" Carlisle asked.

Emmett was more used to Edward and his mind-reading, which usually wasn't so annoying until recently. He would just nose his way through his head and find his answer, rather than just ask. Thankfully, the boy in question was out of the house. Emmett shook his head, glancing down at his phone again, then back up.

"Nothing I can't handle on my own."

Carlisle gave a firm nod, clearly deciding not to pursue the matter further, much to the larger man's relief. Emmett quickly sent Kaneki a responding text before he entered the office entirely.

Emmett (4:13 p.m.)

Can I ask what changed ur mind?

He stopped by the side of the large oak desk, leaning his hip against it as he let his eyes roam over the many papers on its surface and the open laptop. Among those papers were many missing persons' flyers and articles, all from Seattle and some surrounding towns. Smiling faces of both men and women, a teenager or two, looked up at him with descriptors, where they were last seen and what they were wearing, and contact information written below.

"What's all this?" He asked.

Carlisle pushed some of the papers to the side. "There have been a lot of disappearances going on. A few murders, but mostly disappearances," Carlisle stated. "I'm looking into things."

"Vampires?" Emmett frowned. The Cullen head wouldn't bother looking into it if it wasn't.

"Possibly. The main issue I'm having tying it to that verdict is that no bodies are being found. At least not enough to match up with the number of disappearances. Our kind doesn't typically care about hiding evidence, at least from what I've seen. There's no way to trace it back, so what's the point?"