two of hearts (oneshot)

***

every lover has their thing. something that they like about the other person, but that the latter doesn't know about.

for you, it's loki's heartbeat.

he doesn't know how it comforts you, how it brings you peace. you're not really sure you understand the intrigue of it yourself, but you've known that the heart is the most essential organ, the one that powers the rest of the body. being able to hear it working, beating against the ribcage, keeping the body alive. you just find it fascinating.

loki doesn't know that when you two are cuddling, you love to lean your head against his chest to hear his heartbeat, which eventually calms you to sleep in his arms. when you're on top of him and you lay your hand on his bare chest to feel his heart beneath your fingertips -- it was almost symbolic in a way. you did indeed have loki's heart in your hands, leaving him completely infatuated and in love with you.

and it's not like you're embarrassed about it; it's just something you never thought to bring up because it was seemingly unimportant.

it was bound to change, though, since you were no good at keeping things from loki. he doesn't pry, but has a ridiculous amount of intuition when it comes to you and your feelings. he can just tell when you're secretly upset, angry, hurt, embarrassed, etc.

therefore, it's not really a surprise that you found him staring at you with a knowing smile while the two of you were laying together on the couch.

"what is it?" you ask him, already feeling yourself get warm under his gaze.

"i think it's cute," he tells you vaguely.

"that...?"

"that you find comfort in my heartbeat."

for some reason, you become flustered at this comment having just realized that you had your hand placed on his chest and feeling his heart under his shirt.

in a quick motion you take your hand away and avert your gaze to his hands, which are folded in yours.

"i do not."

"yes, you do," he replies calmly. "i've only just noticed it, but whenever we're embracing or lying down like this, you always have your hand or your head on my chest."

"sorry," is what you manage to say.

"what are you apologizing for, my love? i think it's adorable."

"do you?"

he nods and carefully takes your hand to place it against his chest. you can feel the even beats beneath your palm, feel his calm disposition.

you couldn't say the same about yourself. did it make you a little embarrassed that loki had noticed your fascination with his heartbeat? yeah, it did. but it's loki you're dealing with here, and he was never judgmental with you. still, you couldn't help but feel your own heart race at the way he's looking at you. intently, like you were a beautiful painting at an art gallery.

"you're perfect to me," he sighs with a smile, fitting his lips to yours firmly.

***

it isn't long before you grow out of your shyness. loki has a way of doing that, of making you feel like you're the most special, most wonderful person on the planet. soon, you and loki can comfortably acknowledge your special interest in his heartbeat with love and acceptance, the way it should be.

loki moans into your mouth as you kiss him with everything you have. on your bed, you two got a little carried away with "cuddling" and eventually spent the rest of the evening with your hand down his pants and his tongue in your mouth.

once you'd finished with him, both breathing heavily with you on top of him, you place your hand against his naked chest. his skin compliments yours in all the best ways, and he takes your hand and kisses your knuckles affectionately.

"i love you," he tells you.

your heartbeat speeds up and loki smirks.

the little shit can detect every action of your body, every quiet breath and every shiver down your spine. he uses it to his advantage. he knows how much your body can take when you two spend night after night under the sheets; he knows every way in which your body reacts to his words, which he chooses carefully to get a reaction out of you. and upon finding out that you're attracted and infatuated by his beating heart, he takes it upon himself to rile you up.

"do you feel how fast my heart is beating?" he asks you as your hands slide across his chest.

you nod, slipping a hand into his hair and curling it gently around your fingers.

"that's all because of you." he murmurs something unintelligible when you tug his locks just a little, causing you to smirk.

"you are the only person for whom my heart beats. and it races when you walk into the room. when you smile and laugh and hold my hand. when you touch me. everywhere."

your cheeks feel warm. he sighs in pleasure as you continue feeling him.

"and when you place your hand upon my chest, it only reminds me of how much i love you. how my whole body, my whole being is at your mercy." he leans up and captures your lips in a kiss. into your mouth he speaks, "i wouldn't have it any other way."

you aren't shy about many things, with loki there to hype you up and all, but the way his silvertongue makes you feel...well, it certainly leaves you at a loss for words.

"aww," he coos, tilting his head to look at your face, "is my little dove flustered? it's such a good look on you, i must say. i could listen to your heart race at my words all day."

"shut up," you say playfully, trying to hide your embarrassment. it seems you'll never get used to loki's affection for you and the way he so effortlessly manages to make you feel like the luckiest person in the world.

he raises an eyebrow, daring you. you lean over, chests barely touching, and whisper, "just shut up and kiss me."

and he complies without any hesitation. in your mind, you recite a mantra for only loki to hear. in your mind you say, i love you, i love you, i love you.

hearing your voice in his head, loki's heart begins to beat twice as fast, leaving him breathless. breathless and completely and utterly devoted to you.

***

i'm currently taking requests, so don't be afraid to send me all your fantasies! i will do my best to make them come true :) <3