relief (oneshot)

anon requested i do a president loki fic with a reader who has chronic pain syndrome and is also loki's co-president <3

***

As Loki's co-president, you have many issues: paperwork, press conferences, rallies, interviews, the list is endless. And on top of that, your chronic pain syndrome did not make things any more bearable.

Loki was always gentle with you. He understood that your condition made it difficult for you to do your job and even exist sometimes. He was never rough with you despite the frustration or anger he may feel at times. Loki had your back and was always there to provide - to the best of his abilities - as much support and comfort as you needed.

***

you nearly stumbled into the presidential suite, body on fire. it was a late night - your third one this week, and it was only Thursday. Business was running you through the mill, and your pain was so intense you had to cancel an appointment you had that evening so you could rest.

Loki came into the bedroom not long after you did. He looked as radiant as ever with a strong posture and not so much as a coffee stain on his shirt. You yearned to know what it was like to be him, confident and able-bodied.

Loki sat beside you on the bed and removed his helmet. He let down his hair which he'd kept in a bun and let it fall elegantly past his ears.

"My love," he sighed, regarding you with a smile. He leaned over and brushed your cheek with his thumb before connecting your lips in a feathery-light kiss.

Loki noticed the way you winced when you had leaned in for the kiss.

"Are you feeling alright?" he needed to know.

You leaned your head against the headboard of the bed and sighed. Loki was never judgemental when it came to your chronic pain, but you were worried that one day he would get so fed up with your shit that he would just leave.

"It just... hurts," you said quietly. "So much."

"Where?"

"Everywhere."

Loki nodded empathetically. "Shall I fetch you some medicine?"

"That would be lovely, thank you, Loki."

While Loki was gone retrieving the ibuprofen from the medicine cabinet, you tried to massage your shoulders to relieve the tension, but to no avail. Even sitting down in bed was agonizing.

Your partner hurried back with a glass of water and some pills for you to swallow, taking a seat next to you on the bed while you downed the rest of the water. He dimmed the lights in the room and propped some pillows behind your aching back.

But there was something off about Loki's attitude. As he sat next to you, there was an edge to his presence which you noticed almost immediately.

"What's on your mind, Loki?" you asked.

He hesitated a moment before responding, choosing his next words carefully. "There's a way I can make you feel better."

You cocked your head. "What do you mean?"

"Magic," he said with a snap of his fingers. Wisps of green light flurried from his fingertips. "I know of a pain-relieving spell that may help you."

"Why didn't you tell me about this before?"

He sighed and looked down. "I have never performed it before, and I would hate to experiment with it on you. What if it goes horribly wrong and I hurt you?"

Any rush of indignation which you might've felt faded away. It was a valid concern, one that you took into great consideration since you knew nothing about magic.

But if there was even a slight possibility that he could take away your pain - despite there being a risk - wouldn't you want to take that chance?

Loki seemed to read your mind. "y/n, my love, I am not confident enough in my abilities to -"

"But I am," you interrupted. "Loki, you are one of the most skilled magicians in history. You're a god for heaven's sake. I believe that you can do it."

You regarded him with pleading eyes. "Please, Loki. Please, help me."

Well, he couldn't say no to you, not when you were begging. Despite the circumstances, he always thought you were rather cute when you begged.

Loki reached out and caressed your cheek. "As you wish, my fair one."

For the first time in what felt like forever, you actually had hope. You were willing to take the risk if it meant your pain could be alleviated for even a little bit.

Loki situated himself on the bed so that he was sitting cross-legged across from you. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply; the slow inhales and exhales calmed your nerves which were jumping with excitement and perhaps a little anxiety.

Loki spoke in a deep, soothing voice once he opened his eyes. "Is it alright if I place my hands here?" His fingers hovered over the skin of your stiff neck. You nodded wordlessly.

His large, comforting hands cupped the back of your head while his fingers found the skin of your neck. They rested there gently, feeling your pulse. Loki concentrated on each beat beneath his fingertips.

"I am going to make you feel so good," promised Loki in a whisper.

Then the sensation started.

From the point where Loki's hands touched your neck, there flowed a coldness throughout your entire body, a coldness that was unlike anything you'd ever experienced. It was as if someone had poured a bucket of ice water over your head, chilling you as the freezing liquid dripped down your skin. The coldness coursed through your veins and you were surprised to notice that the sensation could be felt in every inch of your body, from your head right to your toes.

You sighed out loud at the soothing feeling of the cold in your veins.

Loki's hands remained against your neck for a few more minutes. You opened your eyes and saw that his brows were furrowed in concentration. It must have been taking a lot out of him to perform this act for you. Your heart absolutely melted.

"I'm not hurting you, am I?" he asked worriedly.

You shook your head. "It feels so good, Loki. I -"

Your words were cut off by the feeling of tears in your eyes. The relief was so drastic that it just consumed you. Never in your life were you so hopeful that you could experience a normal life without chronic pain, but here you were. All thanks to Loki, you were able to feel what it was like to have a body that wasn't enveloped in pain and discomfort.

Loki went to remove his hands, but you placed a hand on his wrist to stop him.

"Don't pull away yet," you pleaded. "I'm not ready for it to come back."

Loki smiled gently. "It won't. Not for another month."

"Are you sure?"

"Do you trust me?"

The answer was immediate. "Yes."

"You're going to be okay, my love. You don't need to worry about the pain any longer. It turns out I am more skilled at magic than I gave myself credit for."

"I'll say," you commented, letting your shoulders fall in relaxation. You flopped down onto the pillows and stared at the ceiling, feeling absolutely euphoric.

"Thank you," you sniffled, feeling tears of relief fall quietly down your face.

Loki laid down on his side next to you and brushed the tears from your face. You placed your hand on top of his and kept it against your cheek, leaning into his touch. Loki's heart leaped.

"Anything for you, my darling," Loki whispered, kissing your forehead.

***