worthy (loki x plus size reader) (oneshot)

alright, you had to admit that not every day was perfect for you.

yes, there were more days than less that you'd felt great, felt strong and confident and happy. dating loki tended to have that effect on you. he had this way of making you feel absolutely secure in yourself, feel beautiful and worthy and hell, even sexy. you loved loki more than anything.

but there were always bad days. it was simply the rule of life. there had to be at least some bad days in order for you to enjoy the good ones even more. you thought it was all bullshit as you inspected your reflection in the mirror, picking out all the things you hated. your skin and all its ripples and waves. the ways your body naturally curved and stretched. you scrutinized every part of yourself and you wondered how the hell can someone as perfect as loki love someone like me?

admittedly, you'd thought about that a little too much.

but could you blame yourself? all your life you'd been bullied for your appearance, or if not that, at least ignored. ignored because who wants to be friends with the token fat person? the one who sticks out like a sore thumb in all their friend groups because of their size? all your life you'd struggled with accepting yourself and seeing your body as something that can bring joy, not hate.

and then loki, a literal god comes along and tells you you're beautiful and divine and lovely and all these other words he uses to describe you which no one had ever said to you before. he calls you 'darling' and 'my love' and holds you close while he does so, knowing that you have trouble believing his affection to be true.

you had all the reasons to be happy. your boyfriend was supportive and gentle and caring and ridiculously attractive. you had a stable job working at the avengers compound, and your life was, for once, going so well.

but there were always bad days.

you felt a familiar weight settle on your chest, that feeling of hopelessness and repulsion at yourself. there was no reason you should be so heavy; couldn't you just diet and exercise all the weight off like everyone said you should? couldn't you just be skinny, like everyone expected you to be?

couldn't you just be beautiful?

***

work was difficult to focus on that day. something about being too occupied with wanting to tear your skin off distracted you from filing reports and entering data into the computer system. you'd had countless days like this ever since middle and high school, but by no means did it get easier over time. your weight was still a struggle to you, no matter how long you've struggled with it.

noon came around and you heard people milling around outside your cubicle getting lunch. they socialized with each other, chatting and laughing as if they had not a care in the world.

lunch had always made you self conscious, especially eating in front of people. normally you skipped lunch and continued working while ignoring the growling of your stomach.

but this time, loki decided to pay you a visit.

the first thing he asked was "how are you doing, my flower?"

you didn't look up from your work, continuing to mark the papers on your desk. "hey, loki."

the second thing he asked was "have you eaten today?"

the question made your freeze, pen pressed against paper. the ink began to bleed.

"does it matter?" you countered, not meeting his eyes.

"of course it matters." loki walked over to you, knelt down, and took your chin between his thumb and forefinger. "i can tell when you're lying, you know."