happy place (oneshot)

***

overstimulation is a bitch.

as you sat in the conference room listening to clint drawl on about battle strategies for their upcoming mission to london, your brain began to feel fuzzy, your eyes unfocusing. the lights in the room were burning your eyes and you started to become hyperaware of every movement within the room. every breath the avengers took, every tap of a pen... and voices. god, you were in no headspace to even begin to process what your team was saying, for their voices were like bullets to your brain.

you began bouncing your leg anxiously, looking for a moment in the conversation when you could excuse yourself for some air. maybe to lie down and stop your brain from freaking the fuck out.

ever since you and loki began dating, his emotions somehow began to sync with yours. when you were angry, so was he. when your depression decided to pay a particularly nasty visit one day, he empathized with you and sat calmly by your side. he liked to tune in to your feelings, trying to better understand you.

therefore, while he was sitting in the back of the conference room idly watching everyone talk over each other, his head whipped to your direction as you sat bouncing your leg and sweating. he sensed your rapid heartbeat, assessed the tension in your shoulders, your labored breathing, and knew you were in mental anguish.

he knew you better than anyone else did and because of that, he knew you were looking for an outlet for your anxiety. a way to remove yourself from the environment you were in and collect yourself. often, it takes something minute to trigger you, or sometimes, nothing at all. though loki knew not what the cause of your anxiety and overstimulation was, he was determined to help you out and keep you safe, since none of the others were catching on.

"oh, would you look at that," he said suddenly from the back of the room. the conversation stopped abruptly as everyone looked at him, including you.

loki manifested an apparition of a watch on his wrist and glanced at it. "y/n, did you forget you have a doctor's appointment at three pm? we should get going, lest you should be late."

you and loki shared a silent exchange across the room. in your mind you asked, what are you doing?

he replied mentally, i know you're not feeling well. come with me.

tony looked impatiently between the two of you. "well, are you gonna go or not? we need to finish planning for london."

"y-yes, of course. i must have forgotten. thanks, loki."

he nodded at you and ushered you out the door with a comforting hand on the small of your back.

when you and him were outside and away from the others, you looked up at him wearily. "a doctor's appointment?"

he eyed you with a smile. "mmm, yes, you're due for a checkup. to my chambers, shall we?"

***

loki's bedroom was one of your favorite places on earth. it was cool, comforting, and smelled like home.

he closed the green drapes to darken the room and set up the pillows on his bed just for you. "here," he offered, plumping a pillow behind your back. "just relax. shall i get you some tea?"

"no, thanks." you weren't feeling up for consuming anything at the moment, too busy trying to not pass out.

"very well. is there anything else you need? another blanket, perhaps?"

you leaned your head back against the pillows and said tiredly, "just you, loki. i just need you."

"your wish is my command."

he got into bed with you and gathered you into his arms, letting you get comfortable in his embrace. he was light with his touches, soothing you by being silent and simply rubbing circles on your thigh with his fingers.

"deep breaths now. follow me, okay?"

together, you and loki inhaled and exhaled deeply to calm your nerves and steady your breathing. after a few of those, you began to feel a warmth settle over your body. you weren't sure if it was because you were held tightly in loki's arms or because you were slowing calming down do to the breathing exercises, but you didn't care.

you felt relaxed enough to close your eyes and snuggle closer into loki's chest.

"shh, you're okay, you're safe with me," he soothed.

you felt yourself believe him.

"you are strong enough to push through this," he reminded you. "try to relax your muscles, can you do that?"

"i think so."

with every inhale, you tried one of your coping mechanisms for anxiety: imagining a place where you feel safe and comforted. however, it just so happened that nothing came to mind, because that place was here in loki's bed, in loki's arms.

loki smiled into your hair. "here with me, hm? that's your happy place?"

you felt warm and smiled too. "guess so. wherever you are, that's my happy place."

he sighed and leaned down to place a kiss on your lips. "i love you so damn much."

"i love you too."

"are you feeling better?"

"lots," you replied, and you meant it. "thank you, loki. for everything."

"my love," he breathed, rubbing your arms affectionately, "you don't need to thank me. i will always be here for you. whenever you need me, no matter how far apart we are."