a soft spot for broken things (loki x trans male reader) (oneshot)

It's safe to say that when you're with Loki, there are no bad days.

and how could there be? dating loki has been the best thing to ever happen to you. There are many things that make your relationship with the god of mischief worthwhile; and though his devilish smirks, longing gazes, and the passion with which he kisses you are certainly high on the list, there is one thing that stands out among the rest.

His support.

You and Loki are perfect for each other because you and him both know what it's like to not receive support from the people who supposedly loved you the most. As a trans man, your coming out experience was nothing short of rocky, especially pertaining to your family. Your friends soon learned to accept it and were supportive for the most part, but your family still struggled to this day with using the correct name and pronouns. you understood that it would take a little bit for them to adjust to the change, but at this point it felt like they weren't even trying.

And Loki? Well, he's informed you all about his family troubles and how it felt to be denied love and forgiveness by those closest to him.

So when you and him got together, you were shocked at how well you understood each other. How much the two of you were willing to sacrifice for the benefit of the other. It was new for the both of you, but it was exciting, too. Finding somebody who loves you just as much as you love them; someone who supports you exactly when you need it.

Initially, you had thought that your identity would be a huge turn-off for loki. a lot of it had to do with the internalized transphobia you dealt with on many occasions, but you were surprised to find out that loki did not turn his back on you like previous love interests had done in the past. contrarily, your coming out to Loki only strengthened your bond with him, as, to your surprise, he came out to you as genderfluid.

"I experience what you mortals call 'dysphoria' all the time," he said one night as you two were deep in conversation over some hot drinks. "The only difference is that I can change my appearance at will to combat those feelings.

"I don't say this very often, but I admire the courage with which you mortals handle this 'dysphoria.' I would not know how to live with myself if I were denied the privilege of shapeshifting."

Once you learned that even gods experience dysphoria, you became more comfortable letting Loki know about your low periods and triggers so that he could help you get through your dysphoric days.

Loki had a way of making you feel valid even when you felt the opposite.

***

The self.

It's a love-hate relationship, really. Many times you find yourself in the middle of a dysphoria-induced depressive episode, hating yourself and the way you look and wondering if it's even worth it to be around at all. Scrutinizing your chest and your hips and the curve of your waist in the mirror, wishing, praying to anyone who was listening that you could swap your body with one that had a flat chest, less curves, and more traditionally masculine features.

But that's really what Loki's for; to pick you up when you're down and help you believe in your own worth.

At the thought of Loki, you felt your heart swell, wishing you could be cuddled up with him instead of working on your art finals project. Your teacher wanted you to paint a self-portrait, focusing on the theme of "the self." It was supposed to be an introspective project, something to help the artist delve deep into themself and figure out what makes them them.

But you're beginning to believe the whole thing about "the self" is overrated. On dysphoria days like today, it's tough to even look in the mirror, much less spend hours trying to replicate your own face on a canvas. You felt overwhelmed by just having a body, almost as if you could feel the weight of the negativity settled on your shoulders like a yoke. You had a feeling that if you even dared to paint yourself, you were going to have a breakdown. And you weren't not really in the mood for that.