sketchbook (oneshot)

with a big stretch and a yawn, you opened your eyes to the sunlit bedroom and stared at the ceiling fan which whirred soundlessly. you found that there was a smile still stuck on your face from the passion-filled night you and loki enjoyed yesterday.

at the thought of loki, you rolled over to come face to face with the sleeping god. his features were relaxed and smooth, almost angelic, and his naked chest rose and fell with each soft breath he took.

he's so beautiful.

you didn't want to disturb his peaceful slumber, so you decided to just lay there and admire him. the corner of his mouth twitched ever so slightly and his eyelids fluttered. i wonder what he's dreaming about, you thought to yourself. his raven black hair was a tangled mess, thanks to you; you loved to run your hands through his beautiful hair any chance you got, and during those nights in bed was certainly no exception.

you reached out to brush a strand behind his ear, retracting your hand at once when he began to stir. you bit your lip as his eyebrows furrowed, hoping you didn't wake him. thankfully, he settled back into sleep.

this must be what all those love songs were talking about. this moment right here, laying next to the love of your life and admiring his indescribable beauty.

you couldn't describe your feeling in words, but pictures...maybe. you glanced at your sketchbook on your nightstand and felt a sudden surge of inspiration to draw loki. that way, you would never have to let go of this moment.

carefully so as to not wake him, you turned over and snatched your sketchbook from the night table and grabbed a pencil from the drawer. you sat up and crossed your legs so you could draw from a better angle.

you began by sketching the outline of his head and shoulders which were half-covered by the blanket. next, you drew his intricate nose... and god, how you loved his nose. the slope of it, the way it perfectly suits his face. you would show his nose extra love by kissing him there and booping him every so often and he would crinkle his nose, laughing while a blush crept up on his cheeks.

you proceeded to sketch his closed eyes just above the nose, making sure to get the shape of them just right. his eyes were the most perfect color you could ever dream of: blue in the sunlight, but with a hint of green depending on his mood. they reminded you of stars, bright balls of light that beckoned to you, almost putting you in a trance whenever his gaze met yours.

you were just about to begin the curve of his lips when he inhaled deeply and opened his eyes, looking right at you. at the sight of you, and impeccable grin broke out on his face.

"good morning, my love," he said in a low, raspy voice. "what are you doing?"

"i'm drawing you." you erased a couple of lines and redrew them so that they were straighter. and looking up at him, you added, "you're so fucking beautiful that you inspired me to actually pick up my sketchbook and pencil."

even after all this time, loki was still unused to compliments like that, so a nice blush dusted his cheeks and ears. in reply he grabbed your face and gave you a tender kiss on the lips, which nearly took your breath away. every one of loki's kisses made you melt, because there was always so much passion in them.

when he pulled away you smiled and said, "now stay still, would you?"

"as you wish."

there was a moment of silence as you added the correct shading onto your picture. loki watched you in silent awe, filled with so much love and admiration for you. he considered himself the luckiest person on earth to have you; everything you did brought him joy, made him realize that life was so much better when he learned to trust others. if he never took the leap of faith by putting his trust in you, you and him would never have gotten together. spending every day together only reinforced the idea that people were good, love is real, and love is worth it. nothing in the world had ever made him feel the way he did when you walked into the room, when you kissed him, when you told him those three wonderful words that made his heart race.

he was infatuated with a mere mortal.

and he wouldn't have it any other way.

you added some finishing touches on your drawing, pretending not to notice the way loki was staring so intently at you while you were focused.

"why are you looking at me like that?" you asked with a sarcastic edge.

"because i love you."

you were expecting him to be sarcastic back, but the bluntness with which he declared those words gave you a whole swarm of butterflies instead.

"well, i love you more."

"impossible," he stated with a gentle smile. "my love for you is incomparable."

"well, i love you so much that i drew you while you were sleeping. so ha."

loki just rolled his eyes, the smile never leaving his face. "may i see it, if you're done?"

you passed the sketchbook to him and waited somewhat nervously to see his reaction. loki brushed his fingers softly over the picture on the page, his mouth falling open in an O shape. he was speechless.

you could see that his eyes were becoming misty as he remained transfixed on the drawing. you placed a hand on the sketchbook and slowly pushed it down so his attention would focus on you.

"hey," you said gently. "you okay?"

he sniffled and nodded, a watery smile breaking out on his face. "i'm fine," he managed, "just..."

you waited patiently.

"i just love you so much, y/n."

you weren't expecting that, so immediately a whole swarm of butterflies erupted throughout your body, making you feel warm.

"i - i love you too."

loki gave the sketchbook back to you and sat up. after setting the book back on the night table, you crawled into loki's lap and wrapped your arms around him. you could hear his heartbeat when you placed your head on his chest.

loki instinctively wrapped his arms around you as well, holding you close and tight. he kissed your head and leaned his cheek against your hair. his hands wandered all over your skin, giving you goosebumps in all the best ways.

you were about to speak when an animalistic growl unleashed itself from your stomach and made itself known to the entire neighborhood. your face heated up.

"sorry," you apologized.

loki just laughed good-naturedly. "sounds like you're hungry, my love. come. i'll make pancakes."

you whined. "but i wanna stay here with you." you snuggled closer into him so that he couldn't move.

"hmmm," he pondered. "looks like we are in quite a dilemma. how about... we get up, i make breakfast, and i'll give you as many kisses as your heart desires afterward."

you thought about his offer. "deal. but only if you put chocolate chips in the pancakes."

"deal." he put his finger under your chin and leaned in to kiss you tenderly. it got heated pretty quick, with both of you remembering last night's escapades. reluctantly, loki pulled away and stood up, carrying you with him. you giggled and wrapped your legs around his waist as he carried you to the kitchen, where there would be many pancakes, kisses, and a whole lot of chocolate.

***