Chapter 5

Lia
•••••
"This room right here." The assistant says, jabbing his elbow into my side. I throw him a glare over my shoulder as I enter the operation room.

   The overly sterile smell makes me want to puke. I scrunch up my nose a bit in disgust as I take a seat on the metal table, crossing my ankles.

Dr. Myer nods to me. "Thank you for cooperating. Not all of the others do." He gives a short laugh and looks at me expectantly. I return his laugh with a weak smile. "Alright. Let's get this started."

   Dr. Myer claps and turns to his rude assistant, "Go ahead and scan her, please." The assistant takes a small scanner out of a drawer and holds it up to my barcode.

   He then moves over to a laptop sitting on the white counter. He types a few things in before handing the laptop to Dr. Myer, who looks at it. "Amelia, 18, 5' 6"..." He mumbles as he checks over my information. "Ah, I see. Let's get her this dose today and see how that goes." He points at the screen and types on the keyboard.

   The assistant leaves the room. "So, Amelia, how are you feeling today?" Dr. Myer says, continuing to look at the laptop screen.

"Fine." I say. More typing. The keys clicking are the only sound in the room. The assistant returns, a syringe in his gloved hand.

   I feel my eyes widen as I look at the needle. My breath quickens and my heart beats faster. The assistant rubs alcohol on my right arm. Quickly, I turn and grab his wrist.

   I feel the electric current move through my arm and onto his wrist. The assistant gasps in pain, his hand constricting. Dr. Myer rushes towards me,

"Amelia, that's enough." His voice is stern. I let go of the assistant and reach my hands towards Dr. Myer, my breathing is still heavy. He freezes, eying my hands. "The injection will only take a second. It's going to help you." His eyes flick from my hands to his assistant.

   I suddenly feel something poke my arm. I scream and try to get away. Dr. Myer grabs me and holds me against the cold table. "Strap her down." He grunts as I struggle against him.

"No, no, no, no, no!" I shriek. "No, no, no--

No!" I jolt awake, gasping for air. Salty tears roll down my cheeks as I sit up. The sheets of the bed I'm in are tangled around my legs and drenched in sweat.

   I know the quilt is meant to be comforting, but it's so heavy that I feel as though I'm being crushed.

   Lincoln and a girl stand in the doorway, both looking very concerned. Lincoln starts to rush towards me, but slows down once he gets closer, like I'm an animal he doesn't want to spook.

   He's no longer wearing the black track pants and matching t-shirt that he was wearing when we escaped. He looks comfy in a pair of baggy flannel pants and a dark blue hoodie with "Florida" across the front in bold white letters. Gently, Lincoln sits on the edge of the bed.

"We heard you screaming. Are you ok?" He whispers. I nod, drawing in a shaky breath,

"Just a nightmare." I lie, wiping my eyes before covering my face with my hands. I feel the mattress shift as Lincoln moves next to me.

   He rubs his hand in circles on my back. My heart rate and breathing begin to return to normal. We sit like this for a good minute or two.

   I try my best to push the memory out of my thoughts. It doesn't really work. Shivering a bit in the cold wind from a pedestal fan facing me, I rake my hands through my snarled hair. The girl walks over to the fan and clicks it off. Lincoln removes his hand from my back.