Chapter 17

Lia
•••••
As I watch the master bathroom door close behind Darwin, I can't help but feel bad for him. He kept his emotions about Marie's passing all bottled up and wasn't sure how to deal with them.

When he finally took the cap off the bottle, the pressure was too much. It fucking exploded. The entire time he was punching the pillow, you could practically hear his heart shattering from the explosion of emotions. I just hope that I can help him from being the victim of another emotional eruption.

Just over the past few hours, Darwin and I have seen each other at our lowest. He was the witness to my panic attack, and I was the witness to his outburst.

I really shouldn't call it an "outburst", "explosion" or anything along those lines since it was how Darwin was grieving, but it's the best way to describe what happened.

"Hello? Is anyone here?" Vince shouts from the living room. Shaking away my thoughts, I muster up a fake smile and leave the master bedroom.

"Yeah, I'm right here." Vince whirls around to face me, a smile that he doesn't need to fake spreading across his face,

"Lia! You're back!" His strong arms pull me into a quick hug. It takes all of my strength to stay on my feet after being hugged by someone who looks exactly like a supermodel. "Where's Darwin?"

Vince notices my tattered and bemired clothing, yet I don't give him a chance to comment on it, "He's in the bathroom. Also, Darwin said Lincoln was coming with you. Is he here?"

"Uh, yeah, he should be somewhere upstairs. Come on, I'll help you find him." Gratefully, I follow Vince upstairs. I'm glad that he won't see Darwin come out of the same room that I did and jump to conclusions.

We reach the second floor, only to find no sign of Lincoln. "I'll start checking the bedrooms." Vince says as he walks to the guest bedroom.

I scan the room, still finding nothing. Behind me, Vince leaves the guest bedroom and strolls into the girl's room. The tiniest bit of movement from a shadow on the balcony catches my eye.

"I think I might've found him." I call to Vince. He comes out of the bedroom and slings his arm over my shoulders,

"He really missed you. Poor guy barely slept a wink." I know it's not my fault, but I still feel guilty. "I'll give you some space."

"Thanks, Vince." He flashes me a dazzling smile before giving me a small pat on my shoulder,

"Now go get 'em, tiger." I step out from under Vince's heavy arm and hear his footsteps fade away as he walks across the room and down the stairs.

I don't even know what I should say to Lincoln. Sorry? Are you ok? Hi?

You're overthinking this. Just go out there, you dumbass!

I pull back the curtain on the slider a little to see Lincoln standing on the deck with his back to me.

Oh, come on! It's Lincoln! You'll be fine.

Before I can peer pressure myself out of it, I grab the handle of the slider and walk out onto the deck. As soon as he hears the slider open, Lincoln looks over his shoulder.

Oh my God, I've never seen someone so relieved. I barely have enough time to shut the slider before Lincoln pulls me into the most bone-crushing hug I've ever had.

The guilt that I felt is stronger now. I kissed Lincoln and his best friend. Lincoln has no idea that I kissed Darwin, either. Even though I'm not dating either of them, it still feels like I'm cheating.