Chapter 11

Darwin
                                             •••••
   "Hey," I whisper to Lia, shaking her a bit. "Wake up." I feel bad about having to wake her up. She looks so peaceful and comfortable.

   After Lincoln's nose stopped bleeding and was cleaned up, we switched seats. Lia wouldn't let go of my hand, so I had to sit by her in the backseat. She leaned her head on my shoulder, still holding my hand, and was out like a light.

   The entire time she was asleep, I couldn't stop thinking about what I did back at the house and before she fell asleep. I had hugged Lia. I held her in my arms and hugged her.

   I'm not starting to like her, am I? No... no, I was just being nice. But, why did I feel like that when I hugged Lia?

   I had also thought about what she had said. I racked my brain, trying to remember something, anything, about "Amy and Tyler". It didn't work.

   My conclusion is that Lia must've been dreaming and thought that it was real. Yet, she had seemed so sure of herself.

Finally, she slowly lifts her head off of my shoulder. Lia looks down at her hand, noticing that she's holding mine. Gasping, she lets go and turns to me, a look of confusion on her face.

   We stare at each other, and I can almost see the gears turning in her head as she realizes that I'm not driving. Lia glances around the truck, taking in the fact that only Charlotte's here with us.

   "What happened? Where is everyone?" She asks, her voice containing hints of sleep.

   "You really don't remember?" I say. Lia shakes her head,

   "The last thing I remember is Lincoln kissing me at the gas station." I tense up a little.

   I still can't believe that Lincoln did that. Lia must've felt me tense because she looks me up and down.

   Her eyes widen a bit when they land on my shoulder. "Ew, I think I drooled on your shirt. I'm so sorry." I look down to see a small, wet spot on my shirt near my sleeve.

   "Oh. It's fine." I mumble with a shrug. Lia continues to look me over. She ever so slightly tips her head to the side.

   "You're not wearing a bandage anymore," she points out.

   "Yeah. We heal a lot faster than normal people." I say, turning so she can see my left arm.

   "No way!" Lia breathes. "It's almost as if you were never cut! There's not even a scar!" She reaches out to touch where the scalpel had cut, but I quickly move away. Lia looks a bit hurt by this.

   "Um," I clear my throat. "Your cut's probably healed now, too." She gives me one quick glance before unraveling her bandage. Her eyes widen as she sees that her bicep is void of any scratches.

   "Oh, my God. That's crazy!" Lia's face breaks into a smile as she inspects her arm. Wanting to change the subject, I go back to her questions from before,

   "Anyway, Lincoln put you to sleep with laughing gas when he kissed you."

   I try my best not to spit out the word "kissed".

   "Laughing gas? Oh, shit." Lia stops looking at her arm and puts her head in her hands. "What did I say?" Before I can answer, Charlotte butts in,

   "Stuff about living with Darwin when you were little. But, you did more than just say things. You got into a fight with Siggy and made Lincoln's nose bleed when he tried to stop you two." Lia groans into her hands,