Chapter 7

Darwin
•••••
I yank Siggy through the living room and, clutching the fabric of his shirt in my hands, use his body to push open the back door. I don't care that I'm just wearing socks and not any shoes.

   He stumbles out onto the deck. Siggy comes at me as soon as I'm through the door. I give him a shove, making him tumble backwards down the wooden steps and onto the grass. He tries to get back up, but I place a knee on his back, pinning him against the ground.

   The morning rays of dawn glisten on his sweat-drenched face. Siggy's eyes begin to change from red to their usual blue.

"Why'd you stop me?" He grunts, struggling to push me off. "I had her!"

"Because... just because!" I shout.

     Siggy manages to escape me. Before he can get to his feet, I grab onto his leg and pull. He falls with an "oomf", giving me enough time to grab hold of him again, roll him over, and hold him against the dewy grass by his shoulders.

"Don't fucking tell me you actually like the little shit!" Siggy roars.

"I don't like her, I don't want her here, and I... I," unsure of what to do and filled with so much rage, I bring back my arm, make a fist, and punch him right in the face.

     For a second, Siggy stops moving and stares at me, shocked. Then, he wriggles his arm from my grasp and gives me a hard punch in the stomach.

    Both because he caught me off guard and it was a hard hit, I puke. It's not a lot, but it lands directly onto his face.

   Siggy begins to gag and cough. I roll off of him to let him breathe, but mostly so I could finish throwing up.

   Vince and Charlotte are running towards us from the barn. They must've heard us yelling. Vince goes to help Siggy and Charlotte moves towards me. Clutching my stomach and shaking my head, I use the side of the deck to help me stand up.

"What the hell happened?" Vince asks, helping Siggy to his feet.

"Lia got a bloody nose." I mutter.

"Ahh." Vince nods in understanding. Charlotte opens the back door and leads us inside,

"You three sit here. I'll send Lincoln over once I find him. For now, you better get whatever just happened all worked out. Alright?" We all nod.

    I don't want to talk with Siggy about anything right now. In fact, I don't want to talk with anybody. Thankfully, neither Siggy or Vince speaks.

   Siggy goes to the kitchen and aggressively cleans off his face. When he comes back to the living room, he's still wiping off his face with the hand towel.

   A few minutes later, Lincoln comes down the stairs. His hoodie has several wet spots on it.

"What happened to your sweatshirt?" Vince asks. Lincoln looks down, as if he forgot what his hoodie looked like,

"Oh, Lia was crying. I gave her a hug and some of the blood from her nose got onto me. I washed it off. No big deal."

    I'm beginning to think that Lia building trust with Lincoln may help us to get rid of her somehow.

   Lincoln reaches up to where Siggy's sitting on the couch and nudges his knee, "Siggy, are you doing ok?" Siggy glares at me.

   If looks could kill, I'd be 6 feet under right now.