Chapter 28

Darwin
•••••
During my run back to camp, I consider how I acted towards Lia. I was honest with her about my anxiety, I helped her out with her cramps, and she was comfortable enough that she fell asleep. On my chest. Hell, I even fell asleep. Overall, not too bad of a start to being better.

I'll admit, I did touch her a lot, though. It's just that after holding and being close to her, it felt so right. That sounds creepy as hell, but I mean it in the best way possible. Being that close to her made everything feel normal again. Like we were back with Amy and Tyler.

Honestly, it was the most relaxed and at ease I've felt since the last time I was on my medication.

Although none of the touches were sexual, they were still creepy of me to do. I'll apologize to Lia when she gets back later.

Just as I reach the outskirts of camp, I hear arguing between two familiar voices. Ducking behind the roots of a fallen tree, I decide to sit back and observe before stepping in.

"You seriously don't know where they went?" Vince growls.

"I told you, I genuinely have no idea! All I know is that Lia changed and then left with Darwin." Lincoln counters, his exhausted tone sounding like he's had to repeat himself.

In response, Vince lets out the loudest, most annoyed scoff I have ever heard. I don't think I've ever had a more shocked look on my face. Why is he so mad? And at Lincoln of all people?

Obviously taken aback just as much as I am, Lincoln mumbles, "Sorry, I wish I knew something that could help."

"Me too, Lincoln, me too." Vince incriminates. I just know he has a stupid passive aggressive smile plastered on his face. "Well, thank you for wasting my time."

Holy shit! He's got some nerve to be angry with Lincoln like this. His fuse has been short lately, but that doesn't give him the right to be a dick. Especially to Lincoln. The guy who wants to hug almost every animal he sees?

Even Siggy was never—is never? He's got to be alive, right?— that fucked up towards him.

With my blood boiling, I step out from behind the clump of roots and begin walking towards them.

"Hey guys." I say with all the nonchalance I could muster. Vince's eyes grow wide and his mouth falls open slightly. On the other hand, Lincoln's whole body practically goes limp with relief.

"Darwin," Vince blinks, as if he can't believe it's actually me. "Are you ok?"

"I've been better," I shrug. He really should be asking Lincoln, since he was just chewing him out for no fucking reason. "Could I talk to the two of you and Charlotte for a second?"

"Uh, yeah. Yeah, of course. I'll go get her." He stammers, trying to regain his usual composure.

"No, it's fine. We can just go with you."

"Oh," he clears his throat and straightens his posture. "Sure." Real fucking smooth, Vince. I never would've guessed that you were just chewing someone out for no reason. As I turn to Lincoln, I lower my voice a bit,

"You're ok with talking, right?" The small smile I get in return is all I need.

He's never really been the type of person to talk a lot about himself, so I've learned to read his mannerisms and body language. Even though they're often subtle, I still understand what he's thinking.

After giving him a gentle pat on the shoulder, Lincoln falls in line behind me as I follow Vince to the tent he shares with Charlotte and Siggy.

Oh, shit... Siggy.