Chapter 8

Lia
•••••
I sit on the edge of the bed, still fuming. I wanted to rip him limb from limb, but what I did to him was alright for now. Taking a deep breath, I fall back onto the bed and stare at the ceiling.

   Before Siggy busted in, I was going to tell Darwin that I don't mind being here. Now, I'm seriously reconsidering that statement.

   A gentle knock on the door makes me jump. "What?" I ask, my voice sounding a lot angrier than I feel. The person on the other side of the door doesn't say anything. I really hope that they left.

"Uh, can I come in?" It's Lincoln. I sigh. Although I really want to be alone, maybe he can help me calm down.

"Yeah, I guess." Lincoln cautiously opens the door, slips inside, and silently closes it behind him. I sit up onto my elbows, my eyes following him slowly walk over and sit on the floor across from me.

   He looks nervous. You're probably scaring him.

"Siggy's knocked out downstairs. What did you do to him?" Lincoln's voice is quiet, like he's worried that too loud of a sound will send me into attack mode.

"Why are you asking me? He'll wake up soon." I'm sitting up straight, staring Lincoln down.

"Just answer the question." I roll my eyes. I shouldn't have let him in.

"I shocked him." I say with a shrug. Lincoln scoffs,

"Very funny, Lia. I know he was shocked. What did you do?"

"I told you, I shocked him. Well, I guess stunned is a better word." Lincoln continues to stare at me. "Fine," I groan. "Give me your hand."

   Lincoln sighs, then hesitantly holds his hand out to me. I take it and give him a small electric shock, like a little stronger than one you'd get after rubbing your socks on carpet and touching a metal doorknob. He swiftly pulls his hand away,

"Was that you?" I nod in return. "Why didn't you tell anyone that you could do that?"

    It's annoying that he's asking so many questions, but I hope that answering them will make him go away.

"I just remembered that I could. When I was screaming in my sleep, I wasn't dreaming. It was a memory from just before Marie broke me out. I was getting an injection, and I hate needles, so I shocked an assistant. The shot must've been used to make me forget stuff because that's the only thing I remember from being at the lab."

   Lincoln looks at me like I'm insane. If I wanted someone to judge me, then I would've gone downstairs and waited for Siggy to wake up. He opens his mouth to say something, but closes it and shakes his head.

"Ok, ok, ok," Lincoln takes a breath. "When will Siggy wake up?" I shrug,

"I don't know. Soon, maybe?"

"Maybe?" Lincoln now looks mad.

"Yeah, that's what I said." Lincoln groans and runs his hands through his brown hair, staring at the floor. He grips fistfuls of hair, looking like he wants to yank it out.

"Can't you shock him awake?"

"No, I don't think I can." I'm feeling more and more frustrated. "Now can you please leave me alone?"

"Lia, I want you to go try to wake up Siggy."

"No," I say, shaking my head. Lincoln releases his hair, looking back up at me. "I might make it worse." He balls his hands into fists and then begins to clench and unclench them. His eyes change from hazel to red like Siggy's had done.

   I stand up, holding my hands open at my sides.

"Ugh." Lincoln puts his head into his hands. "Lia, please." His voice is quiet again and a bit muffled by his hands.

    I crouch down in front of him. Lincoln lifts his head, eyes still red. I reach out and gently take his head in my hands. My thumb strokes his cheek. His eyes begin to go back to normal.

"Lincoln," I whisper. "I'm sorry, but I can't." In a flash, Lincoln's on his feet.

    He grabs my arm, pulls me to my feet, and drags me out of the room. I stumble down the stairs, trying to keep up with Lincoln's quick pace. "Ow! Lincoln, that hurts!"

   All of my anger has been replaced by fear. I thought I could trust Lincoln. His grip on my arm is firm and keeps getting firmer.

   Once we get into the living room, he throws me onto the floor next to Siggy.

"Woah, Lincoln, calm down." Darwin says, taking a step away from me.

"Do it, Lia! Wake. Him. Up." My heart's pounding so hard that I think it might burst out of my chest.

"I-I can't." I manage to stutter. Wrong answer. Lincoln quickly bends down and slaps me.

   My cheeks stings. Darwin gasps. My mouth falls open. Tears spring to my eyes and begin to roll down my cheeks.

"Ok, Lincoln. Let's go to a different room and, uh," Darwin glances at me. I sniff. "Chill out." Darwin pushes Lincoln down the hall and into a bedroom.

   He comes back less than a minute later and crouches down next to me. "Are you ok?" His voice is gentle. I don't say anything.

   Darwin carefully places a hand onto my shoulder. It feels warm. "Hey, I'm sorry. He shouldn't have done that to you." I wipe away my tears. The stinging feeling in my cheek has started to subside.

   To my surprise, Darwin moves his hand to my back. He rubs it like Lincoln does. My tears come back again, stronger now.

   I turn to Darwin and hug him tightly, burying my face into his shoulder. He freezes. I start to release him, but he pulls me closer. "I'm sorry, Lia. I'm so sorry." He whispers.

   To the left of us, Siggy stirs. He sits up groggily. Darwin and I push each other away and scooch apart. Siggy turns to see me and scrambles onto the couch,

"What the fuck?" His eyes are wide with shock. The bathroom door opens suddenly. Vince stands in the hallway, looking flustered,

"Everyone do your chores! We've got company!"

   Darwin rushes to the window in the kitchen. He pulls back the curtain a bit and peers outside.

"Shit," he says, whirling around. "It's the police."

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Salut, tout le monde!

I don't have much to say other than I hope you're enjoying Divagate!

Thanks for reading chapter 8!💕