Mother

It's one in the morning. Hope was awake as he heard soft whines of a girl in the middle of the night. He stood up from the sofa, slowly walked to Miyoung's bed as the girl stir uncomfortably in her sleep. He sat on the edge of the bed, shooking on her body lightly.

"Miyoung, wake up." he whispered as he swept the hair on her forehead. After some calming whispers and soft taps on her cheeks, the girl's eyes open wide. She look at Hope with widened eyes, look confused and panic, before she sighed and hug him.

"The bad dream comes again." she said trembling. Hope stroke her hair in calming manner.

"It's okay, it's just a dream." Miyoung nodded, but still hold onto him tightly.

After the accident of deactivating Hope few months ago, Miyoung tend to get nightmare after that. It's not as often as she used to be when the event still fresh on the back of her head, but still, the idea of falling asleep and losing Hope the next day kind of putting her into a trauma.

Now she couldn't going to sleep without holding his hand.

Hope whispering some comfort words until the drowsiness take over the girl again. After making sure she was asleep, he lay her on the bed gently.

He got up from the bed, glances on the empty glass on her desk. It's better if he filled, so once Miyoung woke up the girl could immediately drink. So the robot got up and walk to the kitchen to do so.

The big house was quite and dark, as all the people already asleep. But then, the kitchen's light was on. Confused, Hope peeked and found a woman's figur sitting in the table, a bottle of drink in her posession. Mother glances at him before darting her eyes somewhere. Feeling pissed at his presence, it seems.

Mother never like Hope. Even though she was not showing it anymore, Hope could sense it through his emotion censor. She was still against Hope's existence.

"Morning Mrs. Kim. You aren't sleeping?" Hope asked as he walk toward her. The woman didn't even glance at him, but somehow her eyes flaming with hate.

"Not your business." Mother took another sip from her drink, and Hope just could nodded and smiled on her cold remark.

He immediately walked to the dispenser, filling the glass. He didn't know how to confront Mother. She was the most difficult human in this house. His program wasn't really sure how to react on her, so most of the time its decide to ignore her.

"Why does that old man decide to make you anyway. Is he trying to mock me?" Hope stay still as he heard Mother suddenly talking.

"He could make robot exactly like a human. While me? I can't even give him a kid anymore. A boy, to be exact. Now he make you. A robot boy. Isn't him insulting me? Now after he could make a kid robot, will he make a woman robot and replace me? " Mother voice trembled, and this is the first time Hope she her like that.

He walked closer, though his program suggested him to ignore. He was curious and confuse. Maybe if he tried to console her, he could learn how to confront her.

"You know, if I could give Miyoung a brother a year ago, maybe you won't be here today. If the cancer wasn't here and took my baby kid away, he won't make you. You are his replacement!"

She start sobbing, head fell down to her hand.

Now, she just feels like Miyoung. The vulnerability. She didn't seems confusing right now. All she need is someone who listen to her anxiety and worry. So Hope decide to take a seat beside of her.

"I'm not replacing anyone." Hope said, softly but enough for Mother to hear it inbetween her tears, "Even if Miyoung got brother, Mr. Kim will still made me and gave me for her 7th birthday."

"How could you know, you are just a mere robot." Mother regained her composure, but her eyes still spilling tears.

"I have data logs about it." Hope said smiling, "Beside, he didn't meant to insult you. He loves you very much, Mrs. Kim."

Hope then turned silent. He had something he need to show to Mother. A data from a year ago, where he was still in laboratory. Daddy like to talk to Hope while running a test on him. The conversation got in his logs and Daddy didn't erase it.

"My wife just check out from the hospital yesterday. That's why I can't work on you these past months. She was survived from cancer, that's a miracle. Thanks we detect it before it's too late. Though we lost our baby, but what's important that she is safe now."

There is a long pause, and it sounded like someone was sobbing for a short time.

"I can't imagine my life without her. If I could choose, I want to be the one who died first, so I won't experiencing my days with no her beside of me. Egoistic much, am I?"

Mother silently crying hearing the way Daddy's voice trembling when he confessed it.

"Ah, why am I telling you this. Now, let's work back on you. You miss me, aren't you? I still need to work on your cute voice."

Then it ended.

Mother was already crying uncontrollably, and without her realization, she was holding Hope's hand. Hope watched this silently before a smile appeared on his face.

"He... He never told me how relieved he was when I was released from the hospital... That stupid man.. He likes to hide all his feeling alone..."

Just like you, Hope thought. Human is indeed a unique creature.

Hope stayed in the kitchen, hearing Mother mumbling between her tears as she slowly drift off. Her grips on his hand was tight. Before the sun arise, he slipped off, taking her coat which was hanging on one of the chair and drapped around her sleeping figure. Smiling, he went back to Miyoung's room with silent steps.

Today his programme just learned something new.

---

"We need to go to school! Hurry Miyoung, daddy almost left us!"

Hope's voices echo as he ran through the front door, Miyoung following right behind him, looking troubled with her bag.

"Don't use your robot power, I'm a slowpoke you know." Miyoung grumbled, still struggling with her bag zipper. The robot just giggled, before helping the girl out.

Once they were ready, they go to the front porch where daddy and Mother already waiting. The older woman looks tired, but there was some glow on her face. Hope's censor caught it as happiness. The robot throw a smile at her, before grabbing Miyoung hand and lead her to the car.

"C'mon kids, get inside the car, go go!" Daddy said playfully, kissing his wife before get inside the car himself.

"Bye mom!" Miyoung said as they almost drove off.

"Bye, umm, Mrs. Kim." Hope hesitating, but he smiled anyway.

"You should just call me mom," the woman said softly, but Miyoung and the robot heard it clearly, "Bye," with that the car drove off.

Hope and Miyoung glanced at each other confusedly.

"Did Mom just let you call her mom?" Hope nodded, then a smile spreaded on his face.

"Yes!"

"She is not grumpy anymore against you! I'm so happy Hope!"

Hope immediately turn down the car glass and stick out his head, waving at the house which now getting further. A big grin on his face as he yelled to the house.

"Bye mom!"