Fire

My world was lit in fire.

Things had been spiraling out of control. People disapeared randomly and they would be found weeks later. Dead.

From the reports, I gathered they had been tortured before. All the victims had, but it was hard to find anything common between them. Apparently the killer chose them without obvious reasons.

I was usually good at gathering evidences and finding the killer, but this one was awfully good, I couldn't get it. There was no clue about the person's identity. As much as I hated to admit it, they were good. The only clue we had that indicated it was the same person was the rose like burn all their victims had below their sternum.

I had slept somewhere other than my house, I couldn't remember where. I walked in my office and my coworker came to find me, looking quite serious. To his request, I followed him to our boss' office, where there was another file.

"There has been other victims," he told me gravely and gave me the files.

I looked at him before opening it. I felt my blood run cold. My eyes went wide, fixated on the three images. It couldn't be. My coworker tried to take the file from me but I was gripping it.

There was three pictures. Three victims. My husband and my children.

They were dead. They had been tortured and marked by the killer I had failed to catch.

I dropped the file and left the room. I left the place. I couldn't stay here, I needed a break. My family was dead and I felt horribly guilty. I should've catched that killer, out their ass in jail and protect my family.

I drove home and entered the house. After closing the door behind me, I sunk to the floor, sobs wrecking my body and tears streaming down my face. I could barely breathe, I couldn't have just lost my children. I pressed my back against the cold door, trying to find back my breath.

After calming down, I dried my tears and washed my face. I walked to the kitchen and saw a door. I had been here before, I knew it.

I walked throught the door and down to the basement. Opening the door there, I saw a room with multiple chairs. The floor was dirty and seemed red. I let my eyes travel the room and noticed multiple knives. I also saw a stick near a fireplace. A stick with a detailed rose at the end of it, just like the burns from the killer.

I picked it up and realized what I had been trying to figure out for weeks. This room was a torture room. All the tools around it, they had been used on at least one of the victims. I had killed them. All of them.

Turns out I was the match.