Out of your life

As soon as I heard he had gotten in another fight with his lover, I rushed to him. They were having a hard time with each other lately and I always tired to be here for my brother. I entered the room and saw him sitting on his bed, his head in his hands.

"James," I said softly and reached my hand to his shoulder.

"What do you want Angela?" he replied rudely, moving his shoulder away from my hand.

"I- I heard what happened. I wanted to check on you and be there for you," I explained and retracted my hand.

"Gosh can't you see?" he said. "I don't need you Angela! I don't want you here!"

I lowered my head before nodding.

"Alright. I'll leave you be. I'll be there if you need me," I said and walked to the door.

"I won't need you Angela! I want you out of my life!" he yelled.

I looked at him hurt and left in hurry. If he didn't want me in his life, then I wouldn't be in his life.

~

I walked towards the Head Quarters where we would decide how to take care of the battle happening. I knew James was going to be there, but I decided to ignore it. It had been two years since he yelled at me he wanted me out of his life and we hadn't talked since then. But this was bigger than him, bigger than us. I hoped he would see that too.

During the meeting, I barely looked at him even if I did greet his friends who I had had a nice friendship with. He didn't try to talk to me either. As much as it hurt, I was glad.

~

The battle was pretty much done. We had won, much to my relief. We had suffered loses but we wouldn't anymore. I turned and saw someone pointing their weapon at my brother. We had only talked about the battle since we had seen each other again.

I threw myself in front of my brother, taking the shot right in my chest.

I heard them shooting down the enemy as I fell backwards. I fell in James' arms. He fell down with me, pressing a hand on the wound, trying to stop the bleeding, his other hand supporting my head. His eyes were wide in fear and horror.

"Come on Angie," he said, calling me by my childhood nickname, "Stay with us, Angie."

I brought one hand to his cheek and he turned to me. Tears were pooling in his eyes. I gave him a weak smile.

"At least now I'll stay out of your life," I whispered.

"Please don't Angie, please," he begged as he held my hand.

I took my last breath, closing my eyes, shutting out everything.

I didn't hear his screams full of pain and grief as he begged me to come back, whimpering about how sorry he was.

I didn't see or feel his tears. I didn't see his friends crying too.

All I knew was that I was out of his life now.