Partners in crime

I walked in the building in my black dress. As I walked, my leg was visible from the slit and my black heels clacked against the floor. A man approached me with a plate and I took a champagne flute. I drank a sip, looking around the room. When I looked down at my drink, I saw my red lipstick had left a trace. 

"My lady, it's great to see you," a man said, kissing my hand.

"You too William. It has been a while hasn't it," I smiled.

"Too long, Madlyn."

"Well, I'm here now."

"Which is amazing. I must admit, I wasn't sure you would come, especially after hearing the rumours that have been running around lately."

"What might those rumours be, William?" I asked.

"People say you're been in contact with this criminal," he whispered.

"What?!" I said, surprised. "I would never associate with a criminal!"

"I know, I know Madlyn. But this isn't the worst part. They say you engaged with Nerezza," he said.

"With her?!"

"I know!" he agreed. "That's crazy, everyone knows that she's the worst criminal of all time. And she's reputed for working alone too."

"I just can't believe anyone would ever believe such thing," I said.

"Of course. Some people even said she would show up today and try to sabotage today. I doubt it, I was never has careful with an event than this one, she could never know."

"Good, wouldn't want that devil woman to crash this amazing event."

He nodded and walked to greet someone else. I walked around, smiling and making small talks with everyone, happy to see people I knew. After a while, I found it too hot inside and decided to go on the balcony. I leaned against the railing and let out a deep breath.

"Too crowded inside, my lady?" a voice asked me. I turned around and saw someone leaning against the railing, a cigarette in mouth. They turned to me and extended their cigarette towards me. "Want some?"

"No thank you, I'm not much of a smoker."

"Understandable," they nodded. "This shit ruins your lungs."

"Yes, exactly."

"It's unfortunately quite addictive," they said with a small laugh.

"So I've heard."

Wind blew harder, sneaking up my leg and I shivered. I felt a warm jacket being wrapped around my shoulders and saw them towering over me in their white shirt. Their cigarette was off and I could smell their cologne.

"I wouldn't want a pretty lady like you to get a cold," they said with a smile.

I never was someone to lose their words, but looking into their piercing eyes made my heart waver and I couldn't get any word out of my mouth. To avoid humiliation, I smiled at them and nodded in thanks.

"May I ask your name?" I asked when I could finally speak.

"River Nadja," they answered. "May I ask yours?"

"Madlyn Ellison."

"Pleasure to meet you," they said, a smirk gracing their perfect lips.

"Pleasure's all mine," I breathed out.

"My lady!" someone called, making my head turn. "Sir William Campbel wants you before his speech."

"I will be right there," I answered and turned back to River. "Are you coming?"