Thirty Two

Katniss and I both stole our fair share of food.

This place was crammed with people, who knows if they even have enough for everyone. So they give us about a couple days worth. It may last us longer if we don't eat a lot, which is what I'm used to anyway. And food shoved in a air tight bags doesn't sound too appealing to me.

When we had landed earlier, I had second thoughts of coming here. I really don't know what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting this. Weapons, shots, explosions - all sounds of war. They make it look so easy on television, but it's not. You meet someone and the very next day they could be dead.

Everyone here was way too intense. I've already gotten screamed at for not having my foot directly by the other. We all know I don't get along with authority figures well. So I've been biting my tongue ever since Commander Paylor decided to tell us we were just like everyone else around here. What's the worst thing they could do to me if I didn't follow the rules? Take away Cato? He's gone. Take away my family? My dad's occupied too. There's nothing I have left that's important to me now.

But this obeying trait was just for now, we were going to go off on our own soon. I think I can listen to a couple of people who think they're in charge for a little longer.

"Squad 451?" A familiar voice asked. Katniss and I both looked up from the tent that we shared. Katniss shot Gale a warning look as he sat down next to me. "Looks like you've got your meals covered."

"We're trying to be prepared," Katniss stated. She gave me a look, as if she was saying not to say anything. I wondered why she didn't want Gale to know we were leaving.

"Don't lie to me," Gale warned. He rested his elbows on his knees as he stared at Katniss. I feel like I should leave them alone. "We've been hunting all our lives. I know when you're going to go off on your own."

"What if I was?" Katniss asked. He shook his head at her, making a tsk sound.

"You managed to drag poor Kat into this too?" Gale tutted.

"I wanted to do this," I clarified. He chuckled.

"Nobody wants to do this," He explained. "And besides you don't shake me as the type to be a soldier," Gale eyed me up and down. I fought back the urge to roll my eyes. What the hell is this place doing to me.

"I didn't look like I'd survive the games either, and here I am."

"Point taken," He muttered. His eyes flashed back to Katniss as I shoved a metal water bottle into the side of my bag. "You gonna leave me behind too?"

"As your fellow soldier, I suggest you stay with your unit," She ridiculed. He shook his head. There was some weird tension going on between them, I felt very out of place in this small tent. Gale looked at her with such an intense infatuation look. Katniss noticed, and shook her head.

"Do you want me to step out?" I asked. Gale chuckled.

"No." I raised my brows, it seems like they would want to be alone. "I couldn't even stop you if you wanted to come," Katniss finished with, glancing at him again.

"Hawthorne, Everdeen, Edwards - come meet your new unit," I heard the scruffy voice of I'm assuming our new Lieutenant. I kept my head low as I walked to the front. I tucked the back of my shirt in as we walked towards the unfamiliar faces.

"I'm Lieutenant Jackson, and this is your squad," She looked like she hasn't cried in years. I folded my arms across my chest as she turned around. "This is second Lieutenant Mitchell, best sharp shooter in Panem." Katniss and Gale nodded towards the man. His eyes flashed towards me, expecting a greeting - but one never came.