Forty Nine

"Hey Kat," Roland smirked. "Miss me?"

"Fuck you," I told him, spitting blood into his face. I grab him by the shoulders and slam his body back down onto the concrete. There wasn't a single amount of remorse inside of me as I watch him groan in pain. "How'd I know this was going to be you?"

"You didn't answer my question." He weakly opens his eyes. "Did you miss me?"

"Fuck. You," I grit through my teeth. "You're fucking dead to me."

"I missed you," He breathed out. "I still do."

"What are you talking about?"

"I miss the old you," He explained, resting his head back on the floor. He stares at the ceiling like he was reminiscing on our old memories. "The one that wasn't brainwashed by Katniss Everdeen."

He doesn't know she's dead.

"I'm not brainwashed," I told him.

He scoffed, "Yeah and I'm not a fucking Peacekeeper." Is he really using sarcasm right now? "She has her hooks in you so deep. Almost as deep as Hadley does."

"Sounds like you're jealous," I told him. "What, upset that I gave them a little more attention?"

"Shut up."

"Is this what this is all about?" I asked in disbelief, "You try to kill me because I don't like you back?"

"No—"

"You're fucking insane," I don't give him the opportunity to lie any further.

"You're calling me crazy? Kat, have you seen the way you've been acting lately? You're one of them."

"They're not the bad guys," I hissed down at him. "Snow is. Snow put us through years and years of torture and anxiety from the games. How could you possibly work for him after that?"

"Coin is just as fucking crazy, if not worse," He told me. "Who's really going to win? Huh? Certainly not us. But not you either if she's in charge."

Maybe he was right about that. No one ever wins in these types of tyrannical situations. But I sure as hell won't tell him he's right.

"You think I'm right, don't you?"

"You don't get to know what I think anymore." The one eye that wasn't swollen shut looked back and forth between his. "You ruined that opportunity when you walked me into getting shot."

"What do you want me to say, sorry?"

"No," I told him. "I don't need your pity. I never did."

His eyes hold mine, a thought must've been racing through his head. My anger doesn't seem to dissipate as I stay here, sitting on top of him with my knee lodged into his groin.

"How'd we get like this?" He asked.

"You went bat shit crazy and things went South."

He laughed, "Yeah that's rich. Coming from the girl that would kill me with a fork."

"Oh I'm so sorry that my weapon isn't good enough for you," I snapped down at him. "Want to get me a knife instead?"

"You wouldn't kill me," He scoffed. "You're too weak."

"I would," I told him truthfully. "You mean nothing to me anymore. You're the same to me as a piece of dirt on the bottom of my shoe."

"You say that, but you need me."

I laughed, "I don't need anyone."

"Look at you, finally grew a damn backbone." He licked his lips. "Did Cato find another girl? Is that why the brave face is on?"