Thirty Nine

My feet hit the floor as I jumped from the last step of the ladder. Cato jumped down next, immediately turning to look at me. I took a look around the dimly lit tunnel.

There was a cold draft as Cato and I stood like outliers away from the group. Castor had hopped down last.

We started by just going to the tunnels where the underground trains were. But, after almost getting caught - we had decided that we were all too exposed there.

This, is what seemed like sewers now. It smelled foul.

"It looks clear," I heard Katniss say from ahead. This place was filled with tall white pillars and some kind of liquid that was scattered.

I kept hearing a noise every so often. It got replaced by our footsteps dragging through the puddles of the unknown liquid. The smell got worse the farther we went back.

As we moved further down the sewers, the hallway got more narrow - and it got darker too. I pulled my upper lip down with my teeth as I kept Cato's gun in one hand.

Something sprayed my head suddenly, making me scream and duck. Cato promptly put his arm around me, yanking me underneath him. It seemed like it was just air that had been pressurized, but my heart was beating a million miles a second.

"Fucks sake," I said like I had just ran a mile.

"You okay?" He asked. I nodded. My breathing was uneven as I feel Cato take his hand off my back. He helped me back up to my feet so I was in a squatting position again.

"Everybody okay?" I rolled my eyes as Lieutenant bitch spoke out. I stood up, looking around at everyone who had the same freaked out look on their face.

"Yeah," Katniss responded with. She stood, the holo still in hand. She kept her eyes on it as she looked down at the black machine.

"This place freaks me the fuck out," Cato muttered next to me. I nodded as we got through the tunnel.

"I feel like somethings going to pop out at us," I tell him. I keep hearing what sounded like distant screams, although it didn't sound like a human scream.

"Is that thing loaded?" He asked. I looked down at the gun, and then nod. I look up at him to see him raise his eyebrows.

"You don't trust me with it?" I asked with a smirk.

"In certain situations, I do," He explained. "But when the fog went off, I thought you were going to shoot up the place."

"I was ready to."

I see Katniss stop ahead, it sounded like water was running. I catch up to her and look down. Cato pulls out his flashlight and I feel my jaw drop a little.

This what looked like water, coming out of the pipes. At least I hoped it was water. There was a distinct smell around here that I didn't like, it overpowered the one from before.

"There's no other way?" I asked. Katniss shook her head.

"Ladies first," Finnick joked. I rolled my eyes, but a smile popped out. I watch Katniss get down so she was sitting on the concrete we were standing on.

She gasps as she puts her whole body into the water. Nothing else comes from her as she continues to move down through the water. Finnick goes next, and I grab the hair tie that was around my wrist and yank my hair up into a messy bun.