Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

Aslan’s How was a shock for the children, but to Eveline it felt like home. It felt like it had been ages since she had seen any of her friends, and she could see a few centaurs running around that she might know.

As the six companions ran down the hill, they were greeted by several figures with metal ends pointing towards their faces. Eveline immediately took a defensive stance, thinking only of protecting Lucy and Susan. Her eyes rose from the end of the spears up to meet a smug grin. A small smile broke through her hard facade.

“Well well well, I haven’t seen you in ages my old friend,” She said while standing and sheathing her sword.

“And I of you, little one,” the older centaur replied. “It has been many years indeed. Rakha, Tija, sheath your swords, these are our friends.”

Eveline ran to the old centaur and wrapped her arms around his torso. It was kind of awkward, seeing as how she only came up to just above his waist, but it had been forever and she missed him. Oreius had treated her like a daughter, and he was the only father figure other than Aslan that she had ever had in her life. Leaving him was like leaving her own family.

The children and the beavers stood behind quietly, watching everything that had taken place. Lucy, tired of waiting and as hungry as a horse, went and tugged on Eveline’s nearly dry shirt.

“Please, can we go in? I’m just rather tired,” she pleaded.

Eveline’s eyes trailed to the others, who looked as nearly worn out as Lucy sounded. She prayed to Aslan that she didn’t look as bad as they did.

“Come on, let’s go see who else we can find in this wonderful place,” Eveline said.

They trudged through camp, and Eveline could sense the slowly dying energy from the Pevensie’s, who were now dragging their feet. She had forgotten, in her wonderlike-stupor, that they were human, not Narnian, and lost their energy much faster than she. It was strange to think about, someone being weaker than her. She had always considered herself and equal to Narnians, but the Pevensie’s made her realize that she wasn’t as equal as she thought. This realization was not something that pleased Eveline.

Her gaze soon moved from the world around her to focus on one specific point: Peter. She had admired him back in the human world, but in Narnia, he seemed to have an aura of power around him. He had seemed like a leader when she first met him, and after seeing him for only a short time in Narnia, he had changed. He was no longer boyish, but he had grown into his sword and was making decisions for the good of others; truly, Peter was becoming the king he was meant to be.

Lost in her thoughts, Eveline barely noticed that they had reached a large red and gold tent. Her mind was immediately cleared of all thoughts of Peter, focusing only on the soft sound of padding paws coming from inside. She instinctively dropped to the ground into a position of reverence as a large, golden-haired lion stepped out of the tent. Bowing her head, she heard a hush fall over the entire camp.

“Who is that?” Lucy said in an awed whisper from behind Eveline.

“Brothers and sisters, Son of Adam, Daughters of Eve, welcome! As you surely already know, I have great plans for you. In these days that are leading up to an unavoidable war, I hope that you will take your training seriously.”

The great lion paused, turning his gaze from the three standing to children to the girl laying in front of him. He cattish grin came over his face, and he bounded over to the kneeling girl.

“Rise my Daughter, and embrace who you truly are,” he whispered to her, nuzzling his face against her hair.

As Eveline rose and turned, the whole camp was watching them. Many of them looked confused, spare a few who actually knew who she was. Aslan glanced at her and she gave a nod.

“This is a true daughter of Narnia. As many of you may or may not know, the White Witch Jadis comes from a city named Charn. Corrupt with evil, Charn was struck down from it’s glory. The fall of the city brought about the collapse of the magic-royalty, save one. While we do not consider Jadis to be a magic royal, there is one other descendent of the ancient Charn, and she stands before you. Until the day of her coronation, this is Princess Eveline of Charn, Ruler of Summer, Fair Lady of the South, and Sister of the White Witch. When Charn was overrun by Jadis’s magic, Eveline fled the city and immediately sought help from me, despite the offer to join Jadis in her ravaging.”

Nothing could be heard throughout the entire camp, and Eveline was breathing rather heavily. She had never shared her story with so many people before, and she was more nervous than she had ever been in her life. To her surprise, Aslan wasn’t done yet.

“But be warned: the White Witch may tell you another story- a false story- of how Charn fell. She will blame the death of the land on Eveline, claiming there was a struggle for their father’s throne. The Witch may claim that Eveline started a civil war, forcing the citizens of Charn to take sides. Let me make it very clear to everyone here that Eveline had nothing to do with the fall of Charn.

“Being only a child of fifteen, Eveline followed the teachings of one of the wisest beings ever known. None of you will recognize the name except Eveline and I, but he was a fine being who sought only to teach the truth to those who would listen. It would be impossible for anyone but he own student to know those truths, so I can not share them.”

Aslan took a breath, leaving enough time for Eveline to hide the tears that had begun the roll down her face. Peter and Susan were standing astonished, for they had been completely unaware of the hardships Eveline had faced in her life. Lucy, who only mostly understood, rushed to Eveline to hug her.

“It’s okay Eveline, you’re still you. No one can change that,” Lucy said.

Tears began to pour out of Eveline’s eyes, and whispers came up from all around the camp. Her legs giving out, Eveline collapsed on the ground. No one had ever understood her the way Aslan had, and now there were just so many people that would finally realize why she acted the way she did. She had always been questioned as to why she would never go hunting, or why she would take long walks in the woods alone. All these things were because of the destruction of Charn. Charn, with it’s beautiful streams and thick green woods. Charn, with it’s multitude of wildlife. Charn, with it’s wise, beings of myth, and wonderful town. Charn, a blackened wasteland, touched with a delicate-looking frost.

Eveline looked up toward Aslan, who only nodded his head. She stood on shaking legs, with Lucy supporting her. She looked out at the once again silent crowd. Then a low voice spoke up near the back of the large crowd.

“Long live Princess Eveline, Bringer of Peace, and Caretaker of all Narnia.”

It was repeated over and over again by the crowd, including the Pevensie children.

Eveline’s eyes trailed over the back of the crowd, searching for who had started the cheer. Landing on a horse in the very back, she let out a small shout and began to run toward it. The crowds easily parted, and she flew toward the one thing she had missed most since arriving in Narnia: her beloved pegasus, Adrian.

After a few minutes of heartfelt hugs and sarcastic comments, Eveline and Adrian walked back toward Aslan’s tent.

“I believe,” Eveline said, “That we have some things to discuss in private.”

“We do indeed,” Aslan said, opening the flap to his tent and letting Eveline and her horse in.

AU:

So sorry about the wonderfully long delay. If any of my original readers are still waiting, bless you all. I hope you haven't given up hope. The next chapter could also be a long wait, but I doubt that it will be 8 months. I hope to have another chapter up this weekend, so please just bear with me. I love you all.