Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Pushing through coats, Eveline and Lucy smiled at each other, knowing that others would have to believe them now. As the crunch of snow began to sound beneath the children's feet, they soon found themselves in a winter wonderland.

Peter and Susan looked at each other in awe, while Lucy and Eveline grinned. Edmund was frowning off to the side of the group.

"I told you it was real," taunted Lucy.

"Yes, it is," Peter said quietly. Then he whirled around to face Edmund.

"You," he growled, "You lied. You made Lucy and Eveline look like they had gone mad. What kind of brother are you? I bet you even came here that night alone!"

Edmund did not deny it. "Would you have believed me even if I had told you? Just leave me alone Peter."

Peter turned toward Lucy. "Lu, is there anyway we can make it up to you?"

"No," Lucy said, smiling slyly, "But this might!"

She quickly threw a snowball at Peter's face, hitting him right on target.  Soon there were snowballs flying everywhere, until one of Eveline's caught Edmund in the side of the head.

"Ow!" he cried, seemingly astonished that he might be hit in the middle of a snowball fight.

"Sorry!" Eveline cried. Edmund glared at her.

The snowball fight soon died down after that, and the children all sat down in the snow. Eveline hadn't noticed it before, but she was actually quite cold. Lucy and Susan were both shivering, and Peter and Edmund looked like they were trying to ignore it.

"Come here," She called, standing and walking over to the opening of the wardrobe entrance.

As she pulled out a heavy fur coat, she grinned cheekily, "I'm sure the professor won't mind if we borrow a few of these."

Eveline handed them out quickly, and Peter handed one to Edmund.

"But this is a girl's coat!" Edmund protested.

"So?" Peter replied sourly.

Edmund sighed and put the coat on. Eveline felt a bit bad for him. After all, he always seemed miserable, as if nothing in the world could make him happy. The others were happy though.

"Come on, let's go visit Mr. Tumnus! After all, Eveline and I have been here before and we know where to go!" Lucy shouted.

Peter and Susan looked at each other as if debating, then agreed. Edmund trailed behind, sulking about his coat. They soon reached the little house of Mr. Tumnus, only to find it completely ransacked.

"Oh my!" Lucy cried.

"No," Eveline whispered in a hushed voice. She raced over to the frame where the front door used to be. On it was a note, stamped with a bloody red paw print.

"Warrant of arrest, by order of her Majesty, the faun Tumnus is hereby charged with high treason against her Imperial Majesty Jadis, Queen of Narnia, for comforting her enemies and fraternizing with humans. Signed Maugrim, Captain of the Secret Police. Long Live the Queen," the note read.

Eveline's blood boiled as she read the words "Queen of Narnia," for she knew that no true Queen of Narnia would force her subjects to live under rules such as these. Lucy was crying to the side and the others were in shock.

"It was us," Lucy sobbed, "Eveline, we were the humans! We got Mr. Tumnus in trouble!"

Eveline swept Lucy into a hug. "Oh Lucy, it was not our fault. Jadis surely has many followers and it would be hard for us not to have been found."