Chapter Eighteen

A/N

As promised, I said I would reveal the casting for Eveline with the next chapter. And here she is. Drum roll please....

Phoebe Tonkin!

In other news, I have two chapters (Nineteen and the Epilogue), and then I will start the sequel! I'll release to title with the next chapter, but if you can guess the title, I'll try to update early!

Hint: Similar to 'Queen of...' and relates to something the Pevensie's find in Prince Caspian

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eighteen

To Eveline, coronations were overrated. If the Narnians accepted the Pevensie's, what was the need for a big ceremony? Plus, she had to wear a dress. Eveline hated wearing dresses. Especially when it was breezy outside. And it was definitely a bit more than just breezy today.

Despite the wind, the weather was perfect. The sky was mostly clear, with just a few clouds decorating the massive expanse of blue. It was almost impossible to distinguish between the ocean waters near Cair Paravel and the sky. The castle itself was airy and very busy. Eveline wasn't used to this much chaos. Everything was extremely cheerful, more so than Eveline liked. But, as any coronation day, here was nothing she could do to help it.

People and Beasts were running around carrying platters of food, or hanging decorations, or even polishing silver. Eveline hadn't been able to attend a coronation since the prince of the Archenlands became king many, many years ago. The coronation itself hadn't been even half as wonderful as the current excitement seemed. All around her there was noise and laughter, and Eveline had never heard anything more pleasant in all her life.

Against her better judgement, Eveline had allowed Susan and Lucy to pick her outfit for the day. They had chosen a light tan colored dress that was choppy around her knees. A thin brown belt was tied around her waist. On her wrist was a bracelet made from fresh wildflowers, and a crown of similar flowers was on her head. Her hair was pulled into a messy bun, and a few strands fell down into her face. A pair of strappy sandals were on her feet. Eveline missed her leggings and boots; she didn't like feeling this exposed.

She rarely wore dresses, mostly because she was never in a situation that required them. Many of the people working in the castle didn't even recognize her without her weapons or normal leggings and tunic pairing. Of course, it was also much warmer than it had been in many years, so leggings weren't exactly what one would want to wear now.

Eveline let out a sigh. It was hard to be looked up to and seen as a leader, especially one with lots of power and influence. Cair Paravel, and Narnia for that matter, was a growing kingdom. New kingdoms were targets for conquest, and Eveline wasn't ready to face another war. It was only a matter of time before other kingdoms would notice their vulnerability.