Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

A cool breeze tickled Eveline's face. She let out a small giggle, and then winced as a pain went through her heart. The memories of the past few hours came flooding back, and she slowly sat up. A smile came over her face as she realized what had happened. Her classes on the Deep Magic had come in handy, and the plan had worked.

Looking around the strange land she was in, it looked like she was sitting on a lush forest floor. Eveline could smell salt water, and she could hear the waves of an ocean nearby. There were trees around her, and the sky was the bluest she had ever seen in all of Narnia. Birds were singing in the trees. A bright blue butterfly fluttered past her face, and Eveline followed it with her eyes. A yellow blur in the background caught her attention.

Aslan walked towards her, his paws treading lightly on the soft grass. Behind him, in the distance, were her parents and Professor Ish. Tears formed in her eyes as she saw her beloved teacher. She started to walk towards them, but Aslan stopped her.

"You can't touch them. They are separated from the living. The deceased are in their own separate afterlife, while you are just in between."

"What do you mean?" Eveline asked. She thought it was all the same afterlife.

"They are gone. You are not. But you have a choice. You gave yourself up for a noble cause, and therefore, according to the Deep Magic, you can go back to where you were before. However, you can stay here. Think carefully, for Narnia still has use for you yet."

There was nothing Eveline could even consider putting before Narnia. Narnia was her home, the only thing she had ever truly known. All she wanted was to save Narnia and keep her safe for as long as she could.

"Aslan, sometimes I don't know why you even ask me these types of questions. I want to go back. My people are preparing for battle, and I'm sitting here in paradise. Send me back, please," Eveline said.

Aslan nodded, and blew out a breath of air on Eveline's face. She began to fade, but a voice from her past began to call out to her.

"Eve, Eve, listen to what I say! Take care to avoid your sister's heart, for it is colder than anything you could ever know! And please, watch over the gift I sent you!"

It was Professor Ish, and as she dissipated into rays of sunlight, she could just see him smiling, while Aslan roared a mighty roar. To some it would inspire fear, but for Eveline it just gave her hope.

------------------------------------------------------

On the battlefield, Peter was terrified. His first battle, and he couldn't even stay strong. He wished Eveline was with him, standing next to him. Oreius was a wonderful leader, but Eveline had a calming factor that allowed him to think with a clear mind. It also didn't hurt to have someone watching over him while in battle.

A gryphon landed in front of the boy and the General. "They come, your highness. In numbers and weapons far greater than our own."

"Number's do not make a battle," said Oreius.

"No, but I bet they help," Peter mumbled.

The White Witch's army began to pour over the peak of the hill. Jadis was tired of these very small beasts thinking they could beat her. Aslan was nothing but a fool who came when he pleased, and where was he now? Certainly not at the front of their army.

"I take no interest in prisoners," Jadis said to her General, "Kill them all."

As the attack began, Peter's fear grew. He lowered his mask, and turned to Oreius.

"Are you with me?" He asked.

"To the death," Oreius said. Peter faced forward, and raised his sword.

"For Narnia, and for Aslan!" He shouted, racing forward on his unicorn.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The light was too much for Susan and Lucy to bear. Both girls threw their arms up to shade their eyes, and for a moment, they were blind. Then the light began to dim, and slowly, their arms came away from their faces. Lucy was the first to recover.

"Eveline!" She screamed, running toward her. Susan followed her, and Eveline was knocked off her feet. She was laughing, and the two Pevensie girls were very confused.

"But, the knife and the Stone Table..." Susan insisted. "We saw you-"

"If my sister knew the true meaning of sacrifice, she may have read the Deep Magic a bit differently. For she would know that if a willing victim who had committed no treachery died in a traitor's stead, the Stone Table would crack and death itself would begin to unwind," Eveline said.

"We... we sent word that you were dead to Peter and Edmund. They are already at war," Susan said.

Eveline paused. In her excitement of seeing Professor Ish and her parents in Aslan's Country had made her almost forget of the battle. She realized now that she could never forget about Peter. He was, well, magnificent. There was no one like him.

"We have to help them," Lucy said, drawing her knife.

"Put that away," Eveline said. "You are much too young to be in battle. I have another idea for how we can help. Take my hands, and we can go."

Susan and Lucy each grabbed one of Eveline's hands, and in a flash they were gone. Eveline had learned that when the air was pure, she could call it to her and travel wherever she wanted.

They ended up outside of Jadis's castle. Everything was completely thawed, and the icy walls were sparkling in the sunlight. There were statues all around. As the three girls walked toward the entrance, they were met by the sight of Aslan at the top of the stairs.

"Hello, Daughters of Eve. I hope that you have learned a few things. Now come, we have much work to do. Eveline, you must change to prepare for battle," Aslan said.

Eveline nodded, and walked to a different part of the castle. She had been to her sister's castle once before, and it was no different from the past. She reached into the bag that Aslan had sent with her, and began to put on her battle gear. She pulled on a green corset with silver buckles on the front, and a pair of black leather leggings, finishing with a pair of black boots. Her hair put into a braid that wrapped around her hair and ended in a knot at the nape of her neck.

When she walked back in, there were centaurs running around, various animals shaking out their fur, and Lucy was hugging a faun with a red scarf on. Susan was watching as they talked, and Aslan was walking about and spreading joy. Eveline's presence was recognized, and many of the Narnians froze. The tallest giant swept into a deep bow, the other Narnians followed.

"Come, we must search the castle. Others may still need help, and Peter will need all the help he can get," Aslan said.