Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Eveline could hear the stomping of feet and coats being shed in the hallway. She silently creeped into another room so she could observe what the children were like.

The first to appear in front of her was a girl of about fifteen. She was beautiful, with a clear face, and long brown hair sweeping behind her. She was carrying a book, so Eveline assumed she must be rather smart. The next she saw was a boy of twelve with dark brown hair and eyes. He seemed to be rather grumpy as he was scowling at the girl in front of him. The third child was a young girl of only nine, whose eyes seemed to dance and she cheerfully skipped down the hall, passing the other two.

Then a voice startled her. “Lucy… Lucy! Don’t run in the hall! Mother and Father would never let you do that!”

The voice made Eveline’s heart beat faster and the speaker stepped into view. Eveline’s breathing stopped for a moment. The boy had blonde hair, which fell into his face, and blue eyes that looked like the could see into one’s soul. He was tall, and basically the most handsome man Eveline had ever seen.

“Now children, I would ask that you all not bother me for I am quite busy. There are others in the house that can assist you though. Mrs. Macready will be here to help you in a moment,” said the professor.

Eveline wanted to glare at him, for he surely meant that she was someone the children could bother. She did not mind that much, for she would be saving them for Mrs. Macready.

As the professor hurried off, Eveline could hear Mrs. Macready already hurrying down the hall toward the waiting children.

“Now you can all follow me, and quickly! I like things orderly around her. Do not bother the professor,” Mrs. Macready was leading them down the hall and telling them her rules for the house.

Eveline stepped into the hall from her hiding spot quietly, making sure that none of the others could hear her. She watched as the older girl reached a hand out to touch a bust statue, inwardly wincing as Mrs. Macready shouted at her.

“And do NOT touch the artifacts around the house! Now I’ll show you to your room where you will wait until dinner.”

Mrs. Macready turned and the children sighed. Eveline rolled her eyes. She believed that no one should be trapped in a room for hours on end.

“Mrs. Macready!” She called out, causing quite a commotion on the stairs as the children bumped into one another at the abrupt stop. They all turned and looked her with wide eyes as she climbed the stairs.

“Mrs. Macready,” Eveline said, slightly out of breath. There weren’t many stairs in Narnia, so she wasn’t used to walking up and down them.

“I will give the children a tour of the house before dinner and help them get settled in,” Eveline said. Mrs. Macready looked ready to protest before Eveline spoke again.

“Now, I do believe that you have a chicken in the oven that might be burning, so I think that you should go check on it. I won’t let them break anything. Also, make sure the professor knows that I would like dinner to be at seven o’clock sharp and that I expect him to be there,” Eveline announced.

Mrs. Macready nodded curtly and hurried down the stairs. Eveline turned toward the children to see their mouths hanging open. Eveline smiled at them. The youngest girl quickly smiled back before whispering to the eldest boy, “She is very pretty.” Then she danced forward.

“My name is Lucy Pevensie. I’m nine years old, and I think you are very nice!” she said cheerfully.

“Why thank you Lucy! I’m Eveline, and I’m sixteen hun…” Eveline stopped quickly. She had almost blurted out her real age, which would surely shock them. Looking sixteen but actually being sixteen hundred was quite a big difference. She recovered.