Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The next morning, Eveline woke up on the floor in the library. She remembered reading about Bilbo receiving a small sword named Sting from Gandalf, then she must have fallen asleep. She quickly rose and walked to her room.

Eveline opened to door, expecting to see Lucy and Susan in bed, but instead it was empty. She walked over and quickly straightened out the sheets and duvet. Then she found a small wardrobe with a fresh dress hanging in it.

She quickly stripped out of her pajamas and pulled out a maroon dress covered in lace. She pulled on cream leggings under her dress. Eveline looked at the floor as she tripped and found a pair of high heel suede shoes that matched her dress. She pulled them on, then pulled her hair into a bun. Eveline adjusted her key necklace, then strided out of the room just as the bell rang for breakfast.

Susan and Lucy came out of their room just as Eveline was about to knock on their door.

"Hello Eveline!" Lucy greeted happily.

"Hey Lucy, how did you sleep last night?" Eveline asked.

"Oh, it was fantastic! After your story, I never woke up again all night! I even dreamed about the girl and an adventure she went on," Lucy exclaimed.

Eveline smiled, happy that the story had pleased Lucy.

"How about you Susan? How did you sleep?" inquired Eveline.

"Oh, it was fine. It was better than my bed," Susan replied.

The girls were already half way down the stairs when the boys came stumbling out of their room. Their faces were red, and they seemed slightly out of breath.

"Are you both ok?" Lucy asked, looking a little worried.

"We're fine," Peter said panting, "We just woke up a little bit late."

The children quietly went down the rest of the way, then sat through a silent breakfast. No one spoke, everyone seemed too tired to say anything.

After breakfast, the children all went to the library. Eveline watched as Susan scanned the walls before pulling out a large dictionary.

"Peter, let's play a game. You guess the root of the word that I tell you. It'll be just like the games we played in school!" Susan declared.

Eveline had no interest in school, and already knew she would be awful at the game. Lucy's face seemed to say the exact same thing Eveline had been thinking and the two of them went and walked down another aisle.

"So Lucy," Eveline began, "What do you think about the house?"

"Well, it is almost too big. It's hard to keep track of all the halls and doors and rooms. But it would be excellent for playing other games!"

Eveline watched as Lucy's eyes twinkled and Lucy grabbed Eveline's arm, dragging her back to where the other had been playing.

"Come on Peter, gastrovascular," Susan said.

Peter sighed. "Is it Latin?" he guessed.

"Yes."

"Latin for the worst game ever," Edmund mumbled unhappily.

"We could play hide and seek!" Lucy suggested.

"But we're already having so much fun," Peter said sarcastically. Eveline smiled, knowing that he was going to give in.

"Come on, we haven't played in ages," Lucy nagged.

"One, two, three, four..." Peter began counting.