chapter ix

After a rather frightening experience with Russia, I decided to stay up in my office for most of the week. With my workload slowly but surely increasing, more emails to respond to, meetings to schedule, files to organize, and other housekeeping tasks, I don't think I would have had much time to get out anyways. 

A sudden phone call pulled me out of my train of thoughts.

"Hello. (Y/N) (L/N), assistant to UN speaking. How many I help you?" I said while trying to balance the phone between my shoulder and ear.

"Woah! No need to be so formal, it's just me. Talia told me you had a package or two waiting at the front desk." A man told me. I sat there for a second, trying to pinpoint who this even was.

"Wait- America? Why are you calling me? I'm a bit busy right now." I said, finally getting the phone to balance, while going back to typing an email.

"Wow, ok then. I'll bring them up myself." He said with a loud and exaggerated sigh. "I can't believe you're gonna make me do all this hard labour!" He continued to complain. 

"Boo hoo. Either bring it up yourself of stop pestering me." I told him, immediately hanging up afterwards. Continuing with my work, I figured I could probably just get Talia to help bring the packages up later. 

RING RING RI—

"Hello, (Y/N) (L/N), assistant to UN speaking—" I started, before getting cut off by the other line.

"Are you coming to get it or not?" America asked me. I sighed, hanging up.

RING RING—

"Hello, (Y/N)—" I started to say with a rather peeved tone.

"Answer my question or I'm gonna—" Without hesitation I hung up on him. If he calls me one more time I think I might lose it. I mean seriously, I'm just trying to get my work done! Is it that hard for someone to respect that?

RIN—

"I swear to god if you call me one more time I'm going to suffocate you with your own sunglasses you useless fuck!" I shouted at the phone angrily, before hanging up. I got up and pulled the power cord used by the phone out of its outlet. Ah, peace at last. 

I smiled, very much content with myself. For the next few minutes I was able to fully focus on my work. A miracle that lasted a total of five minutes. Of course. Like most things in this office, it was short lived. 

"I brought the boxes with me! Talia's also here." America said, followed with a loud bang cause by my door hitting a wall. 

"I see you took my last phone call to heart..." I muttered loud enough for the two of them to hear. America shot me a confused look before putting the box down near my desk. 

"What d'you mean? All you did was hang up on me, and you unplug your phone." He said, now holding the end of the phone's power cord.

"Did you seriously miss my last call? With the whole 'if you call me again I'm gonna suffocate you'?" I asked him.

"...What? I mean, that's funny and all but after you hung up I tried calling again but the line was busy, and then when we tried it again, it went straight to voice mail after that?" America said to me.

"It was probably someone else calling you, (Y/N)." Talia told me.

"That isn't A GOOD THING? Who the hell called me then?! Oh god, this is bad. What if it was UN or someone I don't know or like... an old country or whatever?! I just threatened a random person in this office!" I said, frantically getting up and plugging the phone back in the wall outlet. "Is there a way to check at all? This could literally cost me my job.. oh my GOD." 

"Chill out, chill out. We can just check using the call log feature." America said, turning the phone in his direction. "Ok, here we are! The most recent call was made to—"

And then silence.

America immediately pursed his lips and turned the phone towards Talia. In a matter of seconds, the duo burst out laughing.

"What is it!? Who did I call?" I asked, turning the phone towards myself. There was a series of numbers, and I had no idea who's it was. "Hello?? Who was it?" I asked again, wishing the two of them would take this more seriously.

"AHAHAH WAIT— THIS IS SO FUNNY I CAN'T—" America said, desperately trying to catch his breath from laughing. "YOU— AHAHAHAH, NO NO THIS IS BAD— YOU— YOU GOT CALLED—" America continued to try and spit out who it was.

"You— you got a call from the goddamn— the European Union—" Talia finished the sentence for America, still trying to catch her breath herself. Saying so cause an even louder fit of laughter coming from America.

"WHAT!? NO. I'M LITERALLY GONNA BE FIRED—" I stated, somehow making Mr Capitalist pig, America, laugh even harder. What an a-hole. "Oh my GOD, this isn't funny, stop laughing!" I shouted at them, standing up from my chair. 

After a few minutes of me continuously yelling at them to stop (while internally panicking), they finally both calmed down.

"What am I even supposed to say to him? Do I just go and like— apologize or something?" I asked the two of them, hoping for some good advice.

"I dunno? Sucks to suck I guess!" America told me with a shrug.

"You guys are literally the worst co-workers ever." I groaned, putting a hand on my forehead. "You know what? Fine! I'll just go apologize." I said, deciding I didn't need their help anyways. I got up and pushed pass the tow of them, heading towards the elevator. 

A small 'ding' was heard, the elevator doors opened. I entered it, pressing one of the buttons on the side. This ride felt much less shorter than the one with Russia, and for once I kinda wished this elevator ride was longer.

"Ms (L/N)." I quickly looked towards the elevator doors as they opened, immediately being noticed by none other than the goddamn EU. Amazing. Wonderful. Spectacular. 

"O—oh, hello sir. I was on my way to your office to uh..." I hesitated, looking at practically everything but him. It was then I noticed someone standing somewhat menacingly behind him.

"Well? Spit it out. You've already caused many inconveniences for me today." He said, his hand now holding the frame of the elevator to stop it from closing.

"R—right, I wanted to apologize for earlier, sir. I'm very sorry, I thought you were someone else who had been—"

"If you mean it, then show it." The EU cut me off, taking his hand away from the elevator before turning around to walk away. Didn't he just say I was making him late? Why is he going back to his office?

The doors to the elevator closed, causing me to quickly put a hand out and stop the doors once again. "Wait, sir!" I shouted out in his general direction, he continued to walk to his office without bothering to turn around.

"Don't bother with him, Ms (L/N). Just try to not piss him off more in the future." The man who was behind EU earlier told me. I turned to look at him, now actually being able to see who it was. "Right, How rude of me. I'm the WTO." He spoke, extending his hand for me to shake. 

"Oh, hello. You seem to already know who I am." I say with a small (possibly nervous) chuckle. "I'm very sorry we had to meet like this, I'm usually a lot uh... calmer, yeah." I told the organization. He just nodded, stepping inside the elevator.

"Which floor?"

1308 words
[unedited]

wooo another chapter after like 2 months!! next chapter will be longer, i just ran out of ideas for this one

thanks for reading!