chapter xix

content warnings:
- swearing
- light violence (someone gets slapped)
- description of an injury (section will be marked with **** so that you can skip if needed)
- hinted/very light misogyny from eu (fuck him!!)

guess who's back!! me!! only for one chapter though!! 
thank you for all the votes and comments over the past three (almost four) years, you guys are all amazing <3

I say this with no exaggeration, but I've experienced the worst possible day of my life. I don't think anything will ever be able to top it. If it weren't such a bad thing, I'd honestly congratulate myself!

It all started when I woke up with a sore throat. While normally a few cough drops would help, I didn't have any on me (curtesy of Vietnam finishing my pack when he had a sore throat) I figured I'd just be able to ask someone else for one or something. After a minute or so of just trying my hardest to actually wake myself up, I finally managed to sit myself up on the edge of the bed.

I focused my eyesight on the alarm clock next to me, realizing that I was supposed to be awake 45 minutes ago. Noticing this, I practically jumped out of bed to start getting ready. Once I was done rushing through my morning routine, I basically ran out of my apartment to go and catch the bus. 

It wasn't until I was on the bus that I realized I forgot both my drink and my lunch. 

To add onto my already growing list of issues — the bus got stuck in traffic, the zipper on my bag almost broke, and on my walk into the building I got sprayed with water from a passing car. By the time I was in the building, I already wanted to flip over a table and start yelling at everyone.

"Woah, you look like you've seen better days." Talia points out when I walk up to the reception, a scowl on my face and a soaked outfit. "I'll get you a towel." She offers before I can say anything else, getting up from her desk and rushing off.

Because the universe seemed to be my biggest enemy today, the second I turned my head, I noticed one of the few people I absolutely didn't want to run into.

"Ms. [L/N]. I don't believe showing up to work sopping wet was in your job description. Care to explain yourself?" The EU asked in his usual snarky tone, it genuinely took all of my self-control to not jump him then and there. (though let's be honest, he was way taller and way older. He'd probably beat me in a fight easily.)

"With all due respect," Even though I had absolutely no respect for him, "I'm having a bad day, I'd appreciate it if you kept your remarks to yourself. Talia's already getting me a towel." I spoke, trying desperately to not let my anger seep through into my speech.

"It'd do you well to talk to your co-workers in a nicer tone, Ms. [L/N]." He spoke once more, bitterly. After the whole incident on the work trip taken a mere week ago, it seemed that the EU was starting to clue in that I was here to stay. His "witty" remarks and foul comments wouldn't deter me from working.

Sure, I knew he'd still be mean to me, but at least he was fully aware that I really didn't care. (...and that my own boss, the UN, had my back more than he had EU's.)

I found myself mumbling "hypocrite" under my breath, but before EU was given an opportunity to harass me further, Talia came running back with a towel.

"Here! This should help a bit." Talia said as she started patting my wet clothing down with the towel. It didn't help much, but it was better than nothing. During this, EU (thankfully) decided that tormenting me wasn't entertaining enough at the moment and walked away.