chapter xvi

The quest to find a coffee shop was surprisingly difficult, especially because we were in a downtown area. Even with the use of a GPS, most of the nearby coffee shops we found were closed. Though, we eventually did find one and were able to grab what we needed. 

Instead of heading straight back, we had decided to sit and talk for a while. I wasn't too familiar with them, so I figured it would be a nice opportunity to get to know these two a bit better.

"You and Talia are pretty good friends, right?" CIA had asked me once we finally sat down. I nodded, taking a sip of the drink I ordered. 

"You could say that. I wouldn't say that we're super close, but out of everyone in the office, I probably speak to her outside of work the most." I explained to them. Not only that, but I also trusted her a lot more, I wouldn't dare say that out loud though. "In all honesty, I haven't really been able to see much of anyone who isn't working at the office. Working as an assistant is a shockingly time-consuming job."

"That sounds like it sucks. I know we don't really get a lot of free time either," FBI confessed, motioning at the two of them. "But I still meet with people fairly often. I guess that's part of our job, though." He shrugged. I hummed in response, watching as he took a bite of the muffin he bought.

"This might seem like a weird question, but... do you guys date people?" I asked, instantly regretting it. I don't think there was any worse way for me to have worded that. "NOT you specifically, but like, I dunno, take America for example. I see him talking about people he dates all the time but I wonder if that's just a "him" thing or not." I tried to explain myself.

"Why, you got a thing for that asshat?" CIA asked in a teasing voice, making me and FBI both laugh. "But yeah, it's not just an America thing. I think a lot of us are buried in work and don't have time for relationships, but that doesn't mean we don't date at all." 

FBI added, "In fact, I used to be quite the ladykiller before the FBI got super serious." He said in a matter-of-fact voice.

"Ew! Never call yourself a ladykiller again, that was awful." I fake gagged. Despite not knowing them well, I was finding it easy to talk and joke with them. I don't think I've been this comfortable around someone I wasn't familiar with since... forever, actually!

The three of us continued to chat about meaningless things until our drinks and food were finished. Since CIA and FBI had a meeting to attend to, I decided I would just use my spare time to explore the city while I still had any at all. 

I knew I didn't have that much time to do anything time-consuming like travelling outside the downtown area or going to something like a museum, so I figured it would be best to just walk around by myself for a bit. The café we went to was close enough to the world-renowned Avenue of Stars, meaning that it would be a good place to start walking around.

Good thing I hadn't worn uncomfortable shoes, choosing to wear sneakers instead that morning. While the flight's jet lag and time change were starting to catch up to me, (and possibly the others, I would assume) the fresh air from my walk was keeping it at bay for the time being.

It was interesting to see the city skyline in another country entirely, even if it was almost identical to the one back in my city. Seeing how industrialism had affected all of these major cities in similar ways was kind of cool. It wasn't something I had put much thought into until— now, actually.

After some time walking along the waterfront, I decided to check out a prominent mall on the avenue. I didn't have the intention of buying many things since I'd have to carry them back and I really didn't feel like calling a taxi. Window shopping was fun, anyway.