chapter xiv

sorry for not posting in 7 months,,, you'll also notice that the further down you go the more complex my vocabulary gets so i apologize to anyone who has like 5 different tabs open trying to figure out what the hell i'm saying

Weekends were never long enough, it felt as if Sunday didn't even happen. Ever since I started working here, it felt like weekends got even shorter than they usually felt. It probably has something to do with the amount of crap I have to deal with daily.

Speaking of crap, the EU was currently standing in front of my desk rambling about who knows what.

"-you can't even hand these in when I ask! You should know I can-" He paused, now looking directly at me. "Are you even paying attention to what I'm saying? Never mind, forget it. I'll go ask someone more reliable." He exclaimed, grabbing his papers and walking out of my office. (As well as slamming the door on his way out...)

Not even a minute later, someone else was knocking on my office door. Too lazy to get up at the moment, I yelled 'come in!' hoping whoever was there would hear.

I swear I never get a break.

"Hi, Ms. [L/N]." UN said to me as he opened the door. Great, just who I needed to see.

"Ah! Hello sir. Is there anything I could assist you with at the moment?" I asked him as I stood up, ignoring the fact that I felt like I was too tired to stand at that moment. "If you're looking for last week's report, I left it on your desk earlier."

"Ah, no. Thank you for bringing it, though." He thanked me, moving closer to my desk. "I know this is rather short notice but I'll be leaving for a trip in two weeks, I'd like for you to come with me." He said, putting his hands behind his back.

"That... definitely is a very short notice. What's the reason for the trip?" I asked the organization. Only a 2-week notice for a trip that I'm almost certain I'll have to go on? Fantastic, amazing, wonderful even!

One of these days I swear I'm gonna end up quitting just to mess up everything for these stupid goddamn countries.

"Right, we'll be going to Hong Kong for business reasons. I have quite a few meetings to attend there." He explained. "We'll be going with a few other organizations, it'll only be a five-day trip."

"Oh, I see. Will the hotel and flight be paid for already?" I asked him. I figured they would be paid for considering this wasn't a cheap trip, and the UN has a lot of money.

"Yes, of course. Any trips in the future will also be pre-paid, the only thing you have to worry about is food and anything you wish to buy for yourself." UN spoke with a smile. I nodded, pretending to think to myself for a moment.

"Uhm, am I expected to learn Cantonese before the trip..? As much as I do enjoy learning new languages, I'm no superhuman." I pointed out to him. "Of course not. We'll have a translator with us at all times, and most of us are fluent in most languages anyway." He said with a small laugh. Haha... ha... Thanks for making me feel dumb, UN!

"Um, I think I could join you on the trip? I don't have anything urgent those two weeks..." I responded to his question, smiling a bit in the process.

"Great! I'll email you the details later." He said, now walking back towards my office door. Right before he left, the UN turned to face me. "Thank you, it means a lot to me." He smiled softly.

He closed the door behind him before I could say anything. As if both those encounters weren't enough, my office phone started to ring.

Sighing, I reluctantly picked up the phone. "Hello, Ms. [Y/N] [L/N] speaking. How many I help you?" I answered, saying the same as I always had. Upon hearing the other voice, my heart immediately dropped.