Chapter 6

The next 3 months go slowly. I got placed on ADHD meds as well which is finally making me be able to focus more in classes. Finally, it is time for the three of them to leave me because I told them my mom would be here in a day or two.

It's a lie, they still won't be back until the end of October, but now that my knee is healed enough I don't need the knee brace or crutches, I'm ready to be alone.

They leave and I immediately go about sorting through the boxes in the garage. I go through one room at a time, taking out the flooring and painting. I sleep in my car so I'm not inhaling paint all night.

The next morning, I wake up and do a second layer before feeding the animals. I ride each of the horses around a bit, still being cautious of my knee, and then go back inside. I put down the new flooring in most of the rooms as well as putting back up the trim.

I sleep in the car once again. I have air filters up all over the place to try and clean up the air. I do one last part of the painting, painting a huge Seahawks emblem in my brother's room, and then finish putting in the flooring.

I work on putting in the new back splash in the kitchen and then move on to painting the house's exterior. There isn't a lot of exterior, it is mainly stone, so it is pretty quick and easy to accomplish.

I drain the pool, knowing I won't use it and it will be too cold by the time they do. I sleep in my bed tonight since all of the painting is done. I set up our home gym, making a list of 365 CrossFit workouts for my dad, brother, and I to follow.

I begin organizing the other rooms and I chop up the firewood. I cut down some trees to let more wood dry out. I put it in the smaller wood shed. The next few days, I reroof the house. I called up some people from around the area and they were more than willing to help me.

I hang up things on the walls, and finally, the house is done. I take a picture of the house and send it to Tony, Vic, and Kellin. "House is officially repainted, refloored, set up, and it has a new roof."

I go to the gym area and find the workout with today's date. I write it on the whiteboard, turn on music, and turn on the clock. I modify it so I'm not doing things that will hurt my knee. I go outside and ride all of the horses. My parents hired a farm hand because there was no way I was going to be able to handle it all on my own.

I begin galloping on Storm and I go up to a jump. I make it over and call her to stop. "That was amazing. Have you ever jumped before?" I shake my head. "You have real talent." I give her a soft smile and dismount Storm.

I walk her back to the stable. "Thanks for helping out around here. I know it's what you are paid to do, but it is nice to not have to do all of this on my own." She smiles. "No problem. I like what you did with the house, it's like you added your own touch. It looks beautiful. It's a little early to drain the pool, don't you think?"

"I don't use it and by the time my family gets here, it will be getting too cold." She nods. When she leaves, I sigh. It is really lonely out here alone. I call Tony. "Hey, what's up?" "Hi. I'm just bored." "Your mom isn't showing up for another month, is she?" "No." "Good thing I stayed out here. Vic and Kellin went home, but I'll be there in half an hour with Chinese food for dinner."

I eat quietly while he is watching me. "You're still struggling, aren't you?" "I just don't feel right. I don't know why or what feels wrong." "Well, I want you to know you did a beautiful job on this house." I smile. "Thanks."

Tony stays with me the remaining 3 weeks until I know my mom is on her way. He leaves and I look at my scarred arms. There are no fresh cuts, they are all at least a month old. There is a knock on the door.

I see my mom, her husband, and my brother. I open the door. I show them around the house. Daniel's eyes widen in his room. "Woah! This is awesome." I lead them to the exercise room. "I created CrossFit workouts. My gym teacher helped me."

Daniel goes back to his room after I show him the house. Suddenly, I see my mom's husband swing a punch at me which hits me in the cheek and knocks me off balance. I fall to the ground where I am repeatedly kicked by both of them as they yell at me about cutting and about Tony wanting my custody. They also yell about my tattoos and lip piercings.

When they stop, I go to my room and call Tony. "Hey honey, what's up?" "I miss you." "You sound so destroyed, what happened?" "I was just yelled at for the cutting and tattoos." "Did they hurt you?" "No." He doesn't seem to catch on that I am lying.

"I wish I was under your custody." "I'm trying, honey. Your mom has the advantage though, that she has raised you for years with no issue." "I know. I miss you, I just want to be back with you, Vic, and Kellin."

"I'm trying my hardest, honey. Have you hurt yourself?" "No. I'm trying not to. It's hard, Tony." "I know. You are staying strong and trying your hardest, that's what matters." "I'm going to go to sleep. I have a headache." "Alright, sleep well." I fall asleep pretty quickly after ending the call.