A Choice

Annabeth sat on the edge of the roof, her legs hanging over the ledge, the night sky bright and full of stars as it had not been in a long time, Artemis by her side, in her mortal form, about 12, gazing to the never-sleeping city.

"You are not going to ask why I am here?"

"Gods never visit without a reason, and I suspect this isn't a casual visit to stargaze in the one city where it is impossible to do so, you will tell me eventually"

"Very well" the goddess of the moon handed Annabeth a piece of paper "Here it is, my reason"

"What is it?"

"A choice, a choice you have to make"

Annabeth looked away, her gaze falling on her feet that hang hundreds of feet from the floor "I don't have a choice, I can only wait and see whatever choice the faiths make"

"I just gave you one" Artemis pointed the paper Annabeth heald; Hunter Of Artemis, Join us now!. "If you convince my sister to join us, you would assure her safety,"

"But I would condemn Percy"

"But, if you don't" she continued "You are saving Percy..."

"But I would be condemning Thalia"

"An easy choice to make, if you ask me"

"And what if I don't want to choose?"

"I am afraid that is not a luxury you own anymore, you tell my sister about our conversation you are choosing her, you don't, you're choosing the boy"

"Why are you doing this to me?"

"Maybe just because I can, or maybe because I take care of my own, you choose what to believe"

"Let us get one thing clear, doesn't matter how this turns out I will not join you or your hunters"

"Still, you would be one of my own, Annabeth"

Annabeth's hand moved to her bead necklace, her fingers fidgeting with her dad's ring, a habit she had taken upon doing whenever she wanted to cry but had to keep her emotions at bay for the sake of others or her own ego, "Go away".

The next time Annabeth blinked the goddess was not there anymore. She took a deep breath, trying to calm her racing heart, a sob escaped her lips, and not a second later tears rolled down her cheeks with the same pain and sorrow the river of Leth heald. Annabeth hated crying, it made her feel weak, it made her feel like a seven-year-old girl that was scared of the spiders that tried to kill her at night, all over again. And looking back to it, she wished she was still crying over those spiders instead of over her sister's or best friend's death.

"Is it safe there?"

Annabeth wiped her tears away with her hand, quickly hiding the hunter's pamphlet in her pocket, a fake smile making its way to her face, "No"

Thalia smiled, dramatically taking her hands to her heart "Oh! I have thought you so well!" she took a seat next to her, letting her legs fall through the ledge and wisely avoiding looking down "What are you doing here?"

"Thinking"

"Ah, of course," Annabeth closed her eyes shut, forcing the tears that begged to show themself to stay behind, "You need to give that brain of yours a break sometime"

Annabeth turned her face to face Thalia, her eyes red and puffy "Annie, what happen-"

"I love you, Thals"

Thalia gave her a small smile and threw an arm around her shoulder, bringing her little sister closer to her, Annabeth resting her head on Thalia's shoulder "I love you too, Annie" 

---

A short, sad, one-shot for you all. 

Hope you like it :)