Wellerman

Wellerman- Nathan Evans

There were many things Percy Jackson hated, most of which he couldn't exactly go around complaining about unless he had a death wish. It is common knowledge among demigods that the son of Poseidon heald no respect toward most of the gods, excluding the goddess of the hearth and (from time to time) his father, and it was, is, and will be normal to hear this man complaining about the gods above, below and around, if not at the light of day, at night before sleep, if not during his sleep when dreams and prophecies hunt him, at dawn when he wakes cover in a cold sweat, frighten for his and his love one's lives, cursing the name of the deities who caused them such pain.  

But to mortal it was a different story, they lived in the safe bubble that ignorance is, going among their lives, never noticing the immortals ruling from above, as it should be, and will continue to be. Perseus Jackson couldn't exactly go around complaining about the gods that to them were mear Mhyts, so instead, he complained about the hell around. Although way down on the list of things he hated, High School was something the son of Poseidon could complain about from right to left without getting tired.

When with his mortal friends, Percy had to think each of his words before he said them, careful not to lead them right into the craziness the Mythological world is.

There were many things Percy hated about school, too many to count, but there were some that got him livid. The son of Poseidon is naturally calmed, but it was in Greek Mythology units that he had trouble keeping it all in. He knew everything there was to be known about those (not) myths, he had even seen most of the monsters and deities talked about in class in person, he even could tell when something the teacher taught was wrong, but he couldn't say anything, he was wise enough to know that just by saying one of these monster's names he would be putting his classmates lives in danger, he was wise enough to know that the least he showed himself next to greek myths, the least pron was someone to figure who he was.

Of course, he was no son of Athena, he was bound to do something stupid sooner or later.

Percy sat by the right end of the classroom, sketching on the border of his paper. The teacher at the front, giving a lecture about Poseidon and his realm, it was almost funny to Percy, she, for once, was being quite accurate with her facts. 

"Now, I know this is a boring topic and that most of you are already falling asleep," the teacher said "So I brought a fun activity for us to do", she passed to the next slide, where big and in red, bold font, letters read "THE SONG OF THE SEA'S". She took a DVD reproducer and placed it on her desk, for everyone to see, "The song of the sea's, a song rumored to only be able to be sung by sirens and children of Poseidon"

"That is bullshit, I'm sure everyone can sing that song"

The teacher smiled, "Language dear. And I know it sounds like a lie, but for centuries no one had been able to sing this song, not even when they try hard to. It is not known the science behind such things, but it is true. We will be proving if this is true or not today in class" she said, pointing at the DVD reproducer in front of her.

She pressed the play button, the song starting to sound through the classroom's speakers.

"There once was a ship that put to sea

The name of the ship was the Billy of Tea"

"I can't sing it!" one of the students complain

"The winds blew up, her bow dipped down

O blow, my bully boys, blow"

"I can think of the lyrics but when I try to speak it I can't"

"wow, what kind of witchery is this?"

"Soon may the Wellerman come

To bring us sugar and tea and rum"

"Can anyone sing this song?" the teacher asked, the students moving their heads from one side to another, still trying to sing the songs but failing.

"One day, when the tonguin' is done

We'll take our leave and go"

Percy, who had not been paying attention to the class until then, raised his hand, rolling his eyes at his classmates' childishness.

"It is just a song, don't be do childish, it can't that you all are too embarrassed to sing, please"

"Uhh, Percy, it isn't..."

"She had not been two weeks from shore. When down on her a right whale bore" He started to sing, his voice was sweet and free, it was one of the most beautiful voices any of them had heard. "See? Not that hard"

"The captain called all hands and swore. He'd take that whale in tow. Soon may the Wellerman come. To bring us sugar and tea and rum" he continues, his classmates and teacher's eyes glued to him. It seems almost as if they were in some kind of hypnosis.  When Percy noticed everyone looking at him like that, he stopped singing, everyone blinking again.

"Why is everyone looking at me like that?"

They looked around as if asking the same question themself. The teacher shook her head, throwing away her confusion, the song finished. "See? This song can't be sang, isn't it fantastic?"

"Yea, cool"

No one ever remembered Perseus Jackson singing that song, and for that he was grateful.