Proud of the demon

They tell her she should be proud, they tell her they are proud and they tell her that that was her, their, biggest accomplishment.

But Annabeth is not proud and will never be.

That of which everyone is so proud of is, to her, memories she would prefer to forget.

They don't know what happened down there, they don't know the monsters they had to become to survive and they don't know, will not know, how nothing is like the stories, the rumors, make it to be.

Annabeth is not proud of who she was down there, she is not proud of how she was down there, what she was down there.

While crawling out of the depths of hell had been teamwork, Annabeth knows that in the end,  Percy had been the one to make the actual work.

She should be proud, her mother tells her.

But when the queen of spiders attacked them, she froze, stuck in place not able to move a single muscle as her brain went into a state of shock, she left Percy to his own faith. Why should she be proud of that?

They should all be proud, Travis tells the new campers as he re-tales the way Annabeth had been able to send them a message from Tartarus.

But Annabeth had not known what she was doing, she had been improvising, for the first time in her life, acting before thinking. Her plans took too long to form in her head and were almost every time too deadly; she could have doomed them hundreds of times had not luck been on her side (as twisted as that was, considering where they found themselves at). Why should she be proud of that?

You should be proud, we should be proud, Percy reassures her.

But Annabeth had been scared of the one living thing she should not be scared of. At the shore of the river of fire, Annabeth had been scared of him, her whole self screaming to take a step backward, a step she did not take. At the verge of falling into Chaos, in front of the goddess of poison, Annabeth had been scared of Perseus Jackson, everything in her begged to take a step backward, a step she did take. Why should she be proud of that?

The stories show her to be proud, the legends will tell her to have been proud. But, against everyone's word, Annabeth is not proud of being alive, of having survived, in fact, Tartarus is the place, the entity, that witnessed her biggest regrets.

...

A short story, but proud of it, so, I hope you all enjoy this

Leave any one-shot ideas you would want to see!