12.

Dal's POV
I lay on the half ass piece of material, the jail calls 'bed'. I wouldn't even call it a bed, it's basically just a metal frame with a thin sleeping mat. My back aches most nights, but I've learned to get used to it since I was 10.

Man, this place sure does get to you, even if you've been here a thousand times. I tried to keep my mind distracted as I thought about Brooke. I didn't blame her if she wouldn't write or come visit me, but I also didn't expect her not to. I wondered what she was doing right now...

Brooke's POV
I walk down the school halls, ignoring the soc glares like usual. No matter what, socs and greasers will always have it out for each other, and that's what I couldn't stand.

"Hey, Brooke" Pony and Johnny appeared beside me.

"Heya guys. Ready to head home?" I ask.

"No, actually Johnny and I got track" Pony cringed, hating to make me walk him without  them.

"It's cool, don't worry bout it. Where's Twobit?" I question, maybe, hoping he'd be here to walk with me.

"I think he got detention" Johnny said quietly.

"Oh..okay" was my only reply. Not gonna lie, I was bummed I had nobody to walk home with, but I also didn't mind it. It gives me a chance to clear my head, alone.

"I'll see y'all later then" I give them a small wave as I headed out the doors, My brother and Johnny going the other way to the track.
——————————
As I'm walking home, I think about Dal. All I could do is pray he doesn't do anything stupid and get time added. All though, the boy sure can pull off a 'good behaviour' act. I smirk at the thought.

Suddenly, there's the sound of a car behind me. I didn't look back. I didn't want to look back. From what I could hear, it sounded like a soc car.

I kept my head looking straight ahead as I continued walking. All of a sudden, the car is swerved in front of me, blocking me from going anywhere. Fuck.

Four socs stepped out of the car, smug smirks written all over their faces.

"Well, well, well what do we have here boys?" One laughed. "Little Curtis walking home without the boys?"

I didn't say anything. I couldn't find my words even if I wanted to. I just started backing up a little, not knowing what to do. All I wished was for Dal to be back, here, right now, right beside me.

"Where do you think your going?" I noticed one was now behind me, blocking me from backing up.

"Just let me go, assholes" I hiss. I wouldn't show my fear, even though I was dying on the inside.

"Well, that's not a nice way to speak to someone. Somebody outta teach you a lesson...grab her boys!" Three boys came at me, attempting to grab my arms.

I managed to kick one of them in his crotch, sending him in pain as he groaned. The other two wasted no time, quickly grabbing my arms and holding me back. I tried to jerk away but it was no use.

While the two held me, the one came over and hooked me a good one in the face, making my head explode in pain. I felt the cold, hard sting of metal rings as he did it again. I winced in pain.

Suddenly, there were shouts being heard "HEY!" I heard Soda. Thank god was all I could think.

"Hey! What the fuck do ya think you're doing!?" I recognized that voice as Darry.

"Bastards!" That was Steve.

Soda, Steve, and Darry came charging at the socs, taking one on one, while Darry took Two on since he could. I watched as they fought, turing into some kind of a brawl.

Not a minute later, the socs started running like cowards to their fancy car.

"Assholes" I heard Steve breathe. Soda ignored him, rushing over to me.

"You okay, Brooke?" He examined me.

"I think I'm okay" I wince as he gently touches my eye and face.

"She okay?" Darry came running over next.

"Guys, I'm okay. Just a little scraped up"

"A little scraped up, Brooke, you're bleeding!" Soda exclaimed. I touched my cheek and realized the mark the metal ring had left on me. It was, in fact, bleeding.

"I'm okay" I nodded. I wasn't sure if it was them or myself I was trying to reassure.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up" Steve motioned to the house, earning a weird look from Soda.

I didn't say anything as we walked back to the house, only a block away.

Soda's POV
"Come on, let's get you cleaned up" Steve motioned to the house. I gave him a weird look.  He was never like that. I shook it off though as I followed my sister and the boys inside.