17.

Brooke's POV
I waited for Dal in his room. I hadn't known where he went, but I had a good idea and I couldn't stop the knot the in my stomach.

Suddenly, the door was opened and in walked Dal. "Where'd you go?" I stood. He took off his jacket before running a hand through his hair.

"DX" he replied, searching through his pockets for a cigarette. I immediately knew he went to  pay a visit to Steve. I saw one of his hands had red knuckles, like he had thrown a punch to something-or someone.

"To see Steve?" I question.

"Ya" he said quietly, before lighting his cancer stick. Something in me felt bad for Steve, considering Dal probably went to beat him up.

"What'd you do?" I sit back down. He came and sat beside me as he still puffed on his cigarette.

"Only got a few hits in, for' your brother came in and shouted at both of us" he explained. Soda? He must be mad.

"What'd he say?" I ask.

"Said he wanted to knock both our heads together for' getting with you" he said. Suddenly, I felt guilty. Guilty for making my brothers mad. They probably hate me now, and I don't blame them.

"I better get home" I started to stand, only for Dal's hand to grab mine. He stood and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"You're forgetting something" he whispered. My stomach did butterflies from this boy. I stood on my tippy toes, attaching my lips to his.

Eventually I pulled away. "I gotta get going"

"K"

I walked out of his room and down buck's stairs, before heading out the front door. As much as I didn't like the thought of facing Soda, I knew I needed to smooth things over with us. I don't like not having my brother to talk to-Darry to. Soda would be easier to talk to first.
——————————————-
I sat in my bedroom, reading some stupid book for school. I was waiting for Soda to get home for work, maybe then I could talk to o him.

I then heard the front door close, meaning he was home. Darry was still at work for awhile longer, while Pony was out with Johnny I believe.

I took a breathe before standing, heading out of my bedroom. I spotted Soda on the couch, drinking a glass of chocolate milk. He spotted me as well, and just continued sipping his milk.

I sighed before walking over and sitting down next to him. He just glanced at me. "Soda..I just wanted to talk" I say quietly. I wasn't sure how he'd react.

"About what?..what's there to talk about? You snuck around with Dallas, and Steve. One of my best buddies" he glared. I knew he was right.

"I know..I'm sorry. I should've have started anything with Steve"-he cut me off- "You shouldn't have started anything with either of them, Brooke!" He exclaimed.

"I know..I'm sorry, Soda. Why can't you understand, Dal"-

"Dal doesn't actually like you! He's just gonna hurt you like he does all his girls...and I ain't letting that happen-neither is Darry" he said. I felt tears begin to brim in my eyes, but wouldn't let them fall.

"He's not like that! Please, Soda.." I sounded like I was pleading. "Just give him a chance" I said. He looked to me, almost like he was deciding something. He didn't say anything for moment.

"If he slips up, it's done. I mean it. If he even hurts you in the slightest, I"-I leap over and throw my arms around him. He didn't say anything, but hug back.

"Ya well, good luck getting Darry on board" Soda shrugged. I never thought about that, but I had a plan.

"See, that's why I was thinking"-

"No, Brooke you are not thinking what I think your thinking. I ain't talking to Darry" he put his hands up.

"Oh come on Soda, he likes you best and you know it. Come on" I give puppy dog eyes.

"Fine" he huffed "but you're gonna be there when I do" he said. As much as I hated it, I nodded.
————————————
Soda and I sat on the couch, waiting for Darry to get home. Pony had already came in earlier, and went to his room to work on some math. I was only glad things with Soda and I were decent now.

Just then, Soda and I snapped our heads to the door as Darry walked in. He set his tool belt down before walking into the kitchen and greeting us. Soda and I shared a look.

"Now or never" Soda shrugged as he stood "come on" he grabbed my arm, pulling me up. I sighed, but both of us walked into the kitchen where Darry was standing. He was starting to make some coffee for himself.

"Hey, Darry" Soda greeted first. I silently thanked him for that. I wasn't sure if Darry was pissed at me or not? We haven't talked since he and Soda found out about everything.

"Hey" was all Darry said.

"Can we talk to you for a minute?" I then asked, cringing mentally at how stupid I sounded after everything.

Darry turned around to face us. "Sure..what's up?" He farrowed his brow.

"Well.." I sighed "Soda's down with Dal and I dating and I wanted you to be the same" I said fast, wanting to get it over with.

"What?..wait, Soda you're okay with this?" He asked, looking to Soda.

"Ya, Darry I am. But I told her if he does anything he's gonna"-

"He'll be dead" Darry finished.

"What?" I ask confused.

"If he ever hurts you..he's dead" Darry repeated slowly. "I trust you that you're mature enough to make your own decisions. Just..make the right ones, okay?" He said.

A grin tugged at my lips. I looked over at Soda, and he had the same. I went to hug Darry, but he put his hand out. "Not so fast" he said sternly. "I wanna talk to Dallas first before anything" he said.

I rolled my eyes. "You mean beat up?"

"No. I mean talk"

I nodded "okay..I'll tell him" I said.

"Good" Darry nodded befriend turning around and finishing his coffee.

Part of me was glad, another part of me wouldn't stop hurting. What was Steve gonna think-or do, when he finds out about Dal and I. I didn't wanna hurt him.