Chapter 8: Last Summer

Summer, as always, passed by with a blink of an eye. Before they knew it, it was the last day summer.

As much as they were sad to see summer go, Ye Jin and Hyun Bin were immensely grateful for the time they spent together. If you asked them, they would say that this must be the best summer they have had.

For the past few months, they did everything together. They went to the beach a couple of times more to brush up on Ye Jin's cycling skills, they went on numerous ice cream dates, and they went to the park on many occasions for some games.

Ye Jin recalled that one day when they decided to play frisbee at the park. What was originally a friendly game turned out to be a competition between the couple when Hyun Bin had teased her about her height. Of course, he should know by now that he should never ever mess with Ye Jin.

☼ ☼ ☼

Flashback

"Catch!" Hyun Bin flung the red disc into the air.

Ye Jin jumped in an attempt to catch it mid-air but failed miserably because it was too high up. That round ended with a pouty Ye Jin as Hyun Bin jogged over to pick up the frisbee.

"It's not fair. You're like a head taller than me." Ye Jin kicked at the ground in frustration.

"You just need to jump higher, Jinnie, or run further. Besides, I like your height. You're adorable." Hyun Bin chuckled.

"Adorable? Are you calling me short?! Ya! Hyun Bin!" Ye Jin started smacking his chest.

Poor Hyun Bin was a little confused. He didn't mean to offend his girlfriend. Wasn't she the one who felt like she was too short?

Of course, Hyun Bin wouldn't have known that "a head taller" doesn't necessarily equate to being short. It simply meant Hyun Bin was taller.

"You know what? I'm going to show you that me, a shortie can win against you." The competitive glint was back in Ye Jin's eyes as she took the frisbee from her boyfriend.

Eyeing him murderously, Hyun Bin gulped as their competitive match began and they started tossing and catching the frisbee rapidly. Determined to win, Ye Jin had flung the frisbee particularly hard one time.

The frisbee hurled dangerously through the air, right at Hyun Bin's face. Before the poor boy could react, the frisbee had smacked him hard across the forehead, leaving blood running down the immediate cut on his face.

"Omo! Binnie!" Ye Jin's eyes widened as she ran towards her boyfriend.

Her boyfriend was now moaning in pain as he dabbed at the cut before Ye Jin smacked his hands away.

"Ya, your hands are dirty. Let me see." She fussed before she started blowing on the wound.

And that was how Hyun Bin ended up sporting a plaster after the game.

End of flashback

☼ ☼ ☼

Ye Jin admits, her competitive streak could get a bit too much sometimes. It took a whole week for her to move on from her guilt. Every time she saw the plaster on Hyun Bin's forehead, she would get teary-eyed. That was until Hyun Bin assured her he deserved it for teasing her and placed a kiss on her forehead.

He was sweet like that and Ye Jin was the luckiest girl in the world.

The couple has also met their friends over the summer for some simple meals and board games together. It was a no-brainer to their friends that the childhood sweethearts finally got together, effectively ending all bets on when they would get together. Hyo Jin emerged victorious, having predicted they would get together by the end of summer.