Chapter 14: Fly Away

I think you'll need tissues...

Songs for the chapter:

Soon You'll Get Better by Taylor Swift

Ronan by Taylor Swift

☼ ☼ ☼

The night chill was cold.

It was a coldness that reached deep into the bones, threatening to freeze one's heart to the point that it becomes a hardened shell of its former self.

Or perhaps that phenomenon had nothing to do with the crisp, cold night and had everything to do with the dimming glow of a soul fated to fight with death so soon.

A lone park bench, weathered from its years of use, was surprisingly occupied that night. The icy wind slammed mercilessly against the figure slouched over the bench; urgent as though it was warning the boy against staying in the park for too long.

Each second that ticked by was a prayer for an extra grain of sand in the hourglass that made up the boy's ticking clock, such that no matter how much sand was filtered through, there would always be that one bead of sand tying the boy's soul to life.

Near him, the ashen ground played with the shadows of the autumn leaves as the soft pounding sound of footsteps accompanied the boy's passive musings over the sudden onslaught of news he received.

Flickering daydreams.

Radiating pain.

Hope.

Diminishing hope. Like boats beating against the currents ceaselessly, in hopes that if they fought hard enough, they could change the tides.

But in reality...they couldn't.

"Binnie!" Ye Jin shouted once she saw her boyfriend.

Casting his girlfriend a tight smile, Hyun Bin welcomed Ye Jin with an open heart, seeking instant solace from her comforting presence.

"You're here." He spoke faintly, his voice significantly weakened by his recent battle with cancer.

"I'm here." Ye Jin smiled until she noticed her poor boyfriend shivering when another draft of wind blew right at them.

"Ya, Binnie. What are you doing out here wearing that?" Ye Jin gestured to his attire. "Don't you have a jacket?"

"I...It slipped my mind." Hyun Bin shuddered.

Cursing, Ye Jin quickly dug through her bag and pulled out a jacket, covering her boyfriend up despite his protests. Hyun Bin wisely kept his mouth shut when Ye Jin threw him a pointed look, letting her fuss over him before she settled back against the bench.

"Are you sure you aren't cold?" Hyun Bin checked for the millionth time.

"You're one to speak, babe. You're literally going to freeze to death. You clearly need it more than I do." Ye Jin reasoned.

"I just don't want you to be cold..."

"Then give me a hug, you big baby!"

Smiling like a dork, Ye Jin felt Hyun Bin pull her closer to him. Seconds later, they were huddled up on the bench, bracing themselves against the cold together.