Chapter 15: Autumn Leaf

A/N: If you have yet to cry over the previous chapter, this chapter will really hit those tear ducts. Hugs in advance everyone!

☼ ☼ ☼

A week later

The wash of new light greeted the childhood sweethearts that morning in the dreary, familiar grey of the hospital room. Under the golden sunrise, Ye Jin's beautiful face, highlighted by the gentle orange-gold, reminded Hyun Bin of an old photograph, nostalgic yet beautiful and irreplaceable.

The nostalgia only hit harder when Hyun Bin realised what the day meant for them.

Lips pressed firmly with unease, Hyun Bin naturally sought comfort from his girlfriend, tightening his hold on her hand that was still tightly laced with his.

Ever since he woke up after that scare, they have been inseparable. There were tears, frustrated shouts, fear but there was also love. But now that his departure was right around the corner, Hyun Bin was beginning to feel uneasy once again.

The things he would do just to get an extra moment with Ye Jin, yet, he was leaving.

Moments later, Ye Jin peeled her eyes open, stretching languidly with the gentle heat brushing her back. As with all mornings, she smiled, lighting up the grey world that they lived in with the most beautiful shades of gold. Hyun Bin relaxed then, an innate reaction to the solace that he often sought from his girlfriend.

"Good morning, Binnie."

"Good morning, Jinnie."

Silently, the boy watched as Ye Jin stretched her neck. Clearly, sleeping in that odd position the whole night hadn't been kind to her neck and Hyun Bin's heart ached immediately.

"Aish...I told you to sleep in the bed with me. I feel bad that your neck is tense again because of me." Hyun Bin sighed, reaching over to massage her neck.

"I'm fine, Binnie. I've only been neglecting my daily stretching. What do you want for breakfast? I'll go get it." Ye Jin spoke with an impish grin.

Turning his eyes to the window, Hyun Bin thought hard about it before he shook his head. "I have a better idea."

Curiosity piqued, Ye Jin sat up straighter as he leaned over to whisper in her ear. Seconds later, a smile wormed its way onto both their faces as they exchanged a small nod.

☼ ☼ ☼

"We can still text, right?" Ye Jin spoke after she swallowed another mouthful of tteokbokki from their favourite food truck.

"Of course." Hyun Bin nodded, chuckling as Ye Jin ate with gusto.

One would think that Ye Jin was being rather casual about Hyun Bin's departure but he knew better. In the face of hurt, Ye Jin only smiled wider. For all the years that they have grown together, Ye Jin has always been the type to make the best of the worst deal. When she was sad, she smiled. It was her philosophy to face everything head-on with a smile.

If anything, her smiles only made his heart ache more because he understood the true meaning behind those smiles.

Drawing Ye Jin closer to him, Hyun Bin evidently sighed as they looked into the distance. It was with a heavy heart that Ye Jin snuggled impossibly closer to him, savouring the precious seconds that were ticking by bit by bit.

"This isn't goodbye, Binnie. I refuse to think that I won't ever see you again." Ye Jin gave him a pained smile as she tightened her hold around him.

Shifting slightly to study her, the young man nodded his head, for that was what he believed too.

This wasn't goodbye. It couldn't be.