25. RIPPED PAGES

TORN FLESH

CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: RIPPED PAGES

"I wasn't being selfish, I was saving you from your own stupidity

"I wasn't being selfish, I was saving you from your own stupidity."

"But that was the point, Mitch! I wanted to die, but you had to play fucking god and take that choice away from me."

"But that's Mitch Rapp for you, isn't it? He saves everyone that doesn't want to be saved, and yet, somehow, he just can't save those that actually need it."

"Mar..." he warned, she shook her head, "no." she paused crossing her arms across her chest, "tell me Mitch, how is it that you can save a girl that doesn't want to be saved, but you couldn't save the girl that was yelling for you across a beach?"

"That isn't fair and you know it."

Margo pursed her lips, "isn't it though? You could've at least done me the decency of letting me die on that boat with Ronnie, but no, when that didn't work and you toted me back off to land, you couldn't even let me die in the silence of the bathroom, and to me, that's what's not fair."

Mitch would admit, he was beginning to get ticked off, he'd had his reasons, even if Margo didn't like them. Because whether or not she liked it, she was alive and had responsibilities she couldn't just abandon.

That she wouldn't.

"I did it for your own good, you were too blind to see all the good things, your brother? He was a terrorist Margo, he was the type of person we hunt to kill, not to hug and work with, to kill."

"Your brother died the way he was supposed to, like the piece of shit cause he was working for."

"You're no better! None of us are! Did you ever think that maybe, just for a second, that we were the bad guys? Because that's exactly what we are!"

He had thought about it before, but that was where the line stopped, "we were protecting our country, what was Ronnie doing, hmm? He was going to destroy it, he was going to kill innocent civilians, and as far as I'm concerned he died for something not worth dying over."

Margo scoffed as she dropped her arms at her sides, "you know what, I think I should've listened to Stan, I should've listened to him when he warned me that you were a cocky piece of shit, when he told me not to fall in with you."

"And as much as I hate to say it, for once, Stan was actually looking out for me, you should've died on that boat-"

"You should've died on that beach Rapp."

It felt as if she'd ripped her heart in half, as if suddenly she had nothing else to hang onto, nothing to stitch the poor thing with again, all she could think of was how empty she felt, and Mitch felt more or less the same, he felt as if he'd just been stabbed in the chest with a knife, a dagger to be specific.