30. TEAR DROP

TORN FLESH

CHAPTER THIRTY: TEAR DROP

THAT smile only lasted so long for Mitch

As soon as he'd returned to his quarters to get some good rest- for the first time since Margo had left- it all just came pouring out of him in quiet sobs as he slid down onto the floor against the door to his bathroom.

He had no one left, and if Margo didn't come back, he'd had to see those sad eyes of Violets stare back at him with more resentment than he knew how to handle. He leaned his head back against the hardwood of the door trying to regain his composure; it didn't work.

The tears continued to fall, and it wasn't till later on- closer to night- that his cheeks had tightened from his previous crying and his eyes were still somewhat swollen. Margo had been gone for just about three days, and so far, they'd gotten no calls about anyone coming within the vicinity of the compound, no sign of her on her way back.

What was she even doing so far gone? Stan wouldn't tell her, and as much as he wanted to go and ask, he knew Eric wouldn't answer him either.

It wasn't until an hour or so later that he managed to force himself to stand up from his spot on the bathroom floor and silently climb into the shower.

He only cried harder, except this time, he leaned his head against the shower wall and let his brown locks fall around his face like a halo as the water ran through his hair and clouded his vision until he let his eyes shut.

Fifteen minutes passed behind that grey curtain before Mitch stepped out of the bathroom and wrapped a towel around his waist. Staring back at himself in the mirror, he hated what he saw in between the fogged areas of the glass, he hated the person he'd become, the person he was still becoming.

He wanted his old life back, the one where he'd been happy.

But such things weren't possible, and he knew that.

So he snatched up the scissors from his bathroom drawer and tried his best to erase the person standing before him.

He cut his hair the way it once had been all those months ago, and while some parts were uneven he found himself feeling more comfortable than before. Forcing the majority of the water from his hair- leaving it slightly damp- he was slipping on a t-shirt when a knock came from the door of his room.

He frowned, hardly anyone was up at this hour, so who was knocking at his door?

Adjusting the waistband of his sweatpants, he stepped out of the bathroom and crossed the room thinking about who all it could be, it couldn't be Morgan- for obvious reasons- and it couldn't be her sister either, he knew it wasn't Stan or Eric, and he knew Violet was back in her hospital bed sleeping.

Pulling the door open, he realized it was Violet.

He raised a brow, the girl looking up at him with expectancy in her eyes, a strangeness lingering about her as she did so, "can I stay with you for the night?" before Mitch could ask why the girl had already opened her mouth to elaborate.