29. FALLEN PHOTOGRAPHS

TORN FLESH

CHAPTER TWENTY NINE: FALLEN PHOTOGRAPHS

THE one thing Margo could say as she drove was that she could only think about Violet

THE one thing Margo could say as she drove was that she could only think about Violet. She'd read the girl's note by now, but the one thing that weighed heavily on her was how she thought Violet might have reacted.

She felt bad for leaving her, but in her condition- despite the fact she'd just come out of that state- she didn't want to risk exposing the girl to the elements, or the stress, just yet. She would wait until she was completely better and healthy to bring her back out into the world, if she still wanted to.

The compound was a good place for her to grow up, maybe it would allow Margo to give some type of childhood to the child, she knew Violet deserved that much.

The roads were mostly smooth as she drove, a few abandoned cars littering the road like fallen debris someone had tossed out from their windows, she found herself thinking about the apartment in Rhode Island, the one she'd shared with Mitch for a little over two months, the quiet mornings in the kitchens where they'd just leaned against one another. Or where Mitch had wrapped his arms around her waist from behind and rested his head in the crook of her neck as they softly swayed back and forth.

A part of her felt guilty for not giving Mitch an opportunity to talk things through, but then she remembered that he'd had plenty of time to tell her, plenty of time to explain things to her.

She felt the guilt slip away from where it'd wrapped itself around her heart.

She wished things would go back to the way they'd been, before that terrible night in the bathroom, she'd thought about her brother as she'd done it, a feeling of dysphoria pressing into her as she thought through everything, she knew who she was, and at the same time, everything she told herself didn't seem to equate to the person she saw in the mirror.

There was one morning that stood out to her the most, one that hung on the edge of every thought she had of Mitch, she'd been sitting at the window with a cold cup of tea in her hands as she stared outside. Rain was falling, and it was magnificent to her, it ran down the window in small fast droplets that left little bits of water behind, she couldn't help but smile at the gloomy atmosphere before she felt a pair of hands slip around her waist and a set of lips softly brush against her neck.

"It's so dark outside." Mitch mumbled his head still pressed against her neck, Margo let out a soft sigh and carefully set her tea down- trying her best not to lose contact with Mitch- before leaning back into the man, "I think it's pretty."

Mitch smiled into her skin before pressing a small kiss to the base of her neck, "I guess it is, it's kinda calming."

She'd smiled to herself then, those moments were so rare and far for the two of them that it only felt right. She'd turned in his arms until she was facing him and placed a kiss on his soft lips, "can we just lay around?"