28. DARKENED FATE

TORN FLESH

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: DARKENED FATE

BLACK.

It was the very substance Violet felt her heart turning to when she woke. Scrambling from under her covers to try and locate Margo, all she found was a note.

She was careful to pick it up, almost as if she was scared the very thing would be her demise, but she held it in her dainty fingers and read to herself.

Dear Violet,

There are things about this world, things that you have yet to learn, things I hope you never do. Things that I was forced to live through and be a part of, and I hope that by staying at the compound you never have to be like me. But that's where it ends, nothing changes my past, and nothing can end the ever-growing curiosity towards that aspect of my life. I know you'll hate me for leaving you, but in the case that I don't return, you'll need to find someone named Eric Bander.

Violet looked away from the paper for a moment, Margo was gone.

But instead of letting it take her over at that moment, she continued to read.

I know there are questions you need answered, want answered, but I can't be the one to answer those questions. Not yet, not until I have answers to my own questions. Hopefully, I'll be back soon, until then, take care of yourself, for me.

And despite what you may think, I do care for you Violet, I'd go as far as to say I love you.

Love, Margo

Turning the slip of paper over in her hand, Violet felt tears begin to brim in her eyes, Margo had left her at the compound, and even she wasn't sure if she'd return or not.

Violet sunk into the floor of the room holding the note with both of her hands, small droplets of water slipped from her cheeks and down onto the paper slightly smearing the ink.

She couldn't help but feel more alone than ever, even though weeks before she'd been perfectly fine all on her own, without her father, without her mother, and without her brother.

But not having Margo around, it felt wrong, it felt like ghosts were swirling around her head, telling her to chase after the older girl before it was too late.

She couldn't, she would stay at the compound and wait, and if Margo never returned, then she'd have to seek out the man named Eric.

Until then, she would stay in bed- hoping that her body fully recovered- and wait till a doctor told her she was in the clear.

Reading became her new friend.

She'd never had much time for it before, the world having gone to shit and all, but now that she was going to be stuck laying in bed without the company of Margo, then she needed something to keep her distracted.