06. OUT OF THE WOODS

TORN FLESH

CHAPTER SIX: OUT OF THE WOODS

DOUBLE checking to make sure the coast was clear, the two girls bolted out from their hiding spot their eyes set on the fence ahead of them

DOUBLE checking to make sure the coast was clear, the two girls bolted out from their hiding spot their eyes set on the fence ahead of them. Violet did her best to keep up her small legs only producing strides half the size of Margos, in moments they'd approached the foot of the fence both of them glancing over their shoulders to check that they hadn't been spotted yet.

Helping Violet up as far as possible- the girl's small foot being held in her hands- she continuously glanced over her shoulder praying that the next shift would be behind schedule and they'd have more time.

But alas, that was not written in the stars for them, in fact, it was quite the opposite. The guards were earlier, eager to get through the day and get rid of the murder that was hiding among them, so when they approached their post and caught sight of a blonde female and small child scaling the large fence, they were beyond shocked.

Margo was alerted of their presence by the hissing of a radio as they told their fellow soldiers what was occurring, gently tapping the back of Violet's leg she urged her to go faster bile rising in her throat like a corrosive acid, she could hear them calling out to the two of them, demanding they climb down or be shot, either way, they were going to remain within the grounds of the camp.

One of them- after coming closer- grabbed onto her foot trying to pull her down- was quite surprised when he received a kick to the face upon grabbing her. She used the distraction to her advantage and quickly made her way to the close top happy it was nothing like a prison fence. Violet was already on the other side as neither of the soldiers had made a move for her.

Margo- glancing down at where the one soldier lay, and the other was running back to their vehicle to retrieve his weapon- slid over the top of the fence- careful to make sure she didn't catch her pants on the sharp metal- looking down to where Violet now stood on the ground waiting for her, she realized it wasn't that much of a drop and released her grip on the fence.

When she hit the ground, it was more shock than pain, her bottom hurt from the impact but she wouldn't bother to notice it till later when they took a break from walking for Violet's sake.

The girl grabbed her arm and pointed in the direction of the vehicle, the soldier was heading back now, and he was loading his weapon. Margo gently shoved the girl forward- in the direction away from the fence- quickly following her before they broke off into a run hoping to make it to the woods before they were caught.

Behind them, they could hear the sound of the vehicle- they'd more than likely climbed into it and begun to head after them or the other soldiers they'd informed were already on it, either way, they needed to run- Violet cast Margo a worried look before returning her attention to the path they were running along, if she tripped it would just bring the soldiers closer.