The Verdict

"Jury. Do you have a verdict?" James asked in a soft voice. The courtroom held their breaths. A pin could drop and sound deafening. 

   Matt clutched at his shirt and looked over at the boys in worry. Nano was shied behind his brothers. Zion stood tall with a serious look. Xian held his ground glaring right at the Doctor. He prayed that this would end well for them at least. He was sure to face some kind of consequence after this. The people had responded to well to Terrance's declarations to let Matt away unscathed again. 

   "We have your majesty. We find the defendant not guilty on the charge of tampering with viruses. We also find the defendant not guilty on the charge of endangering the public." 

   No. 

   "Yes." Terrance grinned. He won the case. He got his message across. The people heard him. "Thank you good people, for seeing reason." He snatched the key off the podium and unlocked Devious' restraints.

   "No!" Matt heard a small cry. Kion and Nano were holding Xian back. "You promised! You promised he'd be gone for good! You promised we wouldn't go back to him." 

   Matt clutched at his shirt tighter. "Boys." He stood and started his way over. 

   Terrance caught Matts hand. "Those things don't belong to you," he said in a hushed tone. "Good people!" he turned addressing the people again. 

   "Release him!" Matthew snapped from his seat up top. 

   Terrance blatantly ignored him. "Should this man pay for his crimes against us? His virus took your children! He attempted on your lives! He broke the multiverse! He needs to serve his time!"

   Matt tugged his arm and stared back at the boys. They were being ushered away from Taylor. Taylor couldn't get to them. 

   There was an overwhelming yes from the crowd. 

   James looked around in shock as the court room was thrown into disarray. "Order! Order!" nothing he did worked. 

   'Death to the glitch!'

   'Erase his code!'

   'Kill him like he killed my children!'

   'Tear apart the virus!'

   'Killer!'

   'Murderer!'

   'Death sentence!'

   Static roared up in Matts ears. He couldn't hear anything. He saw mouth move but no sounds came out. 

   "One do you think we did something bad? Is that why we're here?" 

   One had been quiet that time. It took him a  moment to answer. "Perhaps." That was that. The air had shifted and Two felt too uncomfortable to continue. 

 Matt stared up at Matthew with panic in his eyes. Mattie was blocked from his vision. He gazed around for Taylor. Someone to help him. Two of Terrance's lackies had him. He turned to look for the boys. Xian was still reaching for him. Devious was suddenly there by them. 

   "Boys!" Matt wrenched his hand free. 

   Xian glanced back only once and then reached for Matt more urgently with panic in his eyes. "Dad!"

   The world went white.