Work in Progress

Matt had hit his head. There was a huge rush of magic. Matt sat himself up. The court hall was gone. Shambles. Ruble. Ruins. He stared around with wide eyes. 

   The people all sat up with bewildered expressions. Terrance sat up behind Matt with a groan then a gasp. "The experiments!"

   Three figured floated near the most prominent path of destruction. The middle one was an overwhelming angry pink color like a festering wound. The right one was an intense yellow like the scorching sun. The right was a blue so bright it felt like it could swallow you whole and you'd drown in it. 

   Devious was gone leaving behind a grey staticky blob in his place. The Emptiness. The end of time and space. The virus's pocket dimension.

   Matt staggered to his feet. "Boys!"

   The figures turned their heads. They were faceless with only mouths of sharp teeth dripping with venom. Virus embodiments.

   Vague images of a dark figure with fangs and dark claws flashed in Matt's mind. His virus. The one that ruined his life. He can't let that happen to the boys.

   Matt shook his head off and winced. Pain bloomed in his core but he knew he could make it. This pain was just surface, not real. Ot wasn't there. He didn't have a flesh body that felt pain.

   "Matt!" Taylor called. His head was bleeding as he stared at Matt from across the way. He was caught under some rubble.

   "Matt stop!" Mattie cried. He was leaning against his dad with his leg bent at an odd angle.

   Matthieu turned and continued forward. "Boys! I know you're hurting. I know he scares you..."

   "Stay away from them!" Terrance snapped grabbing at Matt's arm.

   Matt yanked his arm away. "You stay away!" He had to get to the boys. "Xian! Kion! Nano!"

   "Matt stop! They'll destroy you!" Mattie called hobbling forward.

   Matt tuned them out. "Boys. Listen! You're scared because he hurt you. I know. It's okay. You aren't alone I promise!"

   The yellow figure faded back into color first and he collapsed to the ground. Matt caught him just in time. He was feverish and shaking. He hid his face.

   "Kion! Xian! I can protect you!" Not long after Kion returned to normal.

   Xian snarled and lifted higher into the air. Sparks flecked off of him. "You lied."

    "Xian! I'm sorry! I didn't know Terrance would be here!" Matt cried laying both of the boya down carefully.

   The wind picked up whipping Matt's hair in his face. Storm clouds gathered in the sky casting shadows on the ruins.

   "Liar! You lied to me!" Xians voice was ethereal and dripping with anger.

   Magic filled the clearing making the air crackle with heat. Matt glanced down at the sickly boys and back up at Xian. No. He threw himself on top of them.

   The beam hit his back. He gave a cry and curled himself around the boys. It's just pain. It's just pain. You can handle more pain. You deserve the pain.

   Nano winced slightly. Matt got an idea. "Xian!!! Your brothers are sick! They need help!"

   The beam stopped. Matt's soul burned with the excessive magic that surrounded him. His vision blurred. He looked up. "They need help and this isn't helping!"

   There was a beat of silence and then Xian was plummeting to the ground. Matt jolted and jumped up to catch the youngest. He grabbed him and winced as the pressure hit. Ow.

   He glanced down and smiled in relief. "Gotcha..."