Freedom

Matt awoke slowly. Is this the afterlife? Is he really dead this time? 

   Pain blossomed through his chest. Decidedly, not dead. His eyelids felt so heavy. His ears rang with distant voices. Something, or someone, landed on his stomach making him Oof in pain and wince. 

   Matt forced his eyes open. Nano was sitting on his stomach with tears built up in his eyes. His mouth moved but no words seemed to come out. Nothin registered for a moment before he sucked in a huge breath. He's laying on the floor of the medical room. The ringing dissipates. 

   "Can you hear me?" Nano cried softly clutching at Matts shirt.

   Matt winced. "Wha'appened?" He muttered out raising a hand to block the light. 

   "You're okay! Oh gosh we were so worried when you fell to the ground. You were screaming so loudly. Taylor showed up and grabbed the bad guy. And then the prince showed up but you didn't wake up and the prince left and you were still on the ground and you looked hurt and- and-" Nano was hyperventilating. 

   Matt sat himself up carefully and winced. His whole body felt more sore than it has in a long time. "Hey. Hey, calm down kiddo. It's okay." 

   Kion sniffled off to the side and latched onto Matt's arm. They still felt hot to the touch but they were responsive at least. That was good news. 

   Matts mind stalled. "Where's Xian?" He whipped his head around.

   "Over here." Taylor sighed softly. He was sitting on the hospital bed with Xian curled up shaking and sniffling. "He won't let me touch him."

   Matt gave a worried look. "Boys. Off. Please." He staggered to his feet and almost fell. Kion stopped his fall. 

   Matt floated carefully to Xian. "Xian. Hey. Kiddo. Are you hurt?"

   "Am I hurt? Why are you asking me? I shot you! He tried to erase your code! You... I'm f-fine! It's you who isn't okay!" Xian cried glaring up at Matt with tears in his eyes. 

   Matt gave a sad look. "Oh Xian... Listen I leaned over your brothers to protect them. That was my fault. And Terrance has always hated me so that was on him not you." Matt ran a comforting hand through Xian's hair. 

   Xian sniffled and trembled.  "I'm s-sorry." 

   Matt pulled the youngest into a tight hug. "Its okay. Everything will be okay. I promise." He motioned for Nano and Kion to come over. Soon he was holding all three boys close. 

   Taylor gave a soft smile. 'You're good with them,' he mouthed. 

   Matt nodded and smiled down at the boys. 

   "I called you dad... twice..." Xian muttered still teary eyed. "M'sorry."

   Matt ruffled his hair affectionately earning a frustrated groan. "Don't worry about it. You can call me that if you want."

   "Really?" Kion's eyes sparkled. 

   "Really." Matt confirmed. 

   "We've never had a dad before," Nano muttered nuzzling closer. 

   "I hope I can be a good one." 

   "You already are," Xian whispered under his breath.

   Matt took that as high praise. "I'm glad you think that." The pain in his torso was outshone by the pride and love he felt. He grinned over the boys heads at Taylor. He got what he wanted. 

   Taylor smiled back with a soft look in his eyes. Matt looked so unbelievably happy. He hadn't seen him like that since they first reunited. It made him happy.  

   Matt held the boys close. The last chains on his soul broke down. No more Terrance, no more chains, no more Virus. Matt was free. Free to have a family. Free to have his own life. Free to be happy.