11 | beyond the wall

"Thirty seconds 'till we open the gate!"

Taryn peered up at the tall structure, her jaw slack at its intimidating height and the renowned symbol of Wall Rose staring back at her. Her heart pounded nervously, making her look down to focus on the path in front of her instead, knowing that beyond these gates were countless Titans who were all eagerly waiting to devour and have a taste of human flesh.

After weeks of continuous training, the day of the 57th expedition outside the Walls finally arrived. She and the other recruits were gathered near the supply wagons. Most of them trembled in fear, dreading the awaiting journey, while some had their faces set in determination. She had been a mixture of both—she wasn't shaking in her boots, but she wasn't looking forward to be going outside either.

A gasp pulled her from her thoughts, and she turned to see a boy and a girl looking out of a window, their eyes full of admiration for the soldiers lined up in front of them. She felt a small smile grace her lips at the sight of their faces filled with hopes and dreams, carrying a childlike innocence that had yet to be tainted by this world.

Right, they were humanity's hope. Whether they liked it or not, as long as their backs bore the Wings of Freedom, they carried the burden of having to fight for a better world. And with this expedition, they were taking another step forward.

"It's time!" Commander Erwin yelled. "Humanity will take another step forward! Show me what you can do!"

He raised his sword, leading the others to follow suit and mirror his actions as well. Cheers of empowerment quickly travelled throughout the crowd, the words of the Commander instilling them with courage. It seems like he knew exactly how to raise their spirits as Taryn also found herself lifting her fist in the air, the action giving her a sudden surge of bravery. We can do this.

"Open the gates!"

She could hear the heavy gears turning as some moved to open the structure. The stone surface lifted up from the ground slowly, revealing the path in which they had to take on their way to Shiganshina. Gripping Eros's leash tightly, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, counting to ten in a pitiful attempt to calm her nerves. They were about to enter Titan territory, and once they stepped out the safety of the Walls, she knew that there was no turning back.

"Advance!"

The crowd immediately lurched forward at the Commander's signal. As the people
in front of her went ahead, she let her horse break into a run, the sounds of its hooves clicking against the stone path flooding her ears. She tried to keep her focus on the scene in front of her, only to see that she was already growing closer and closer to getting to the outside.

"We will now begin the 57th expedition beyond the Walls," She heard the Commander say, his voice traveling throughout the whole area. "Scouts, onward!"

The soldiers roared once again, this time their cheers having much more fire and vigor than before. The sun shone brightly before them, painting the world outside in a heavenly glow that only lured them like mice to a mousetrap.

She looked up as she passed through the tall archways, finally entering the ruins of the city they had abandoned years ago. Buildings and houses that had once been bustling with life now stood deserted as ivy began to overcome them. It was eerily quiet, with only the sounds of horses and the soft clanging of weapons filling the atmosphere.

Suddenly, the silence was broken as a ten meter class Titan appeared from the left, shaking the ground as it approached them. Taryn felt panic rise in her as she saw its form getting near. She quickly turned away and resolved to just continue moving on forward, hoping with all her heart that the Support Team could handle the incoming threat. She really didn't want to have to face a Titan this early on.